• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which one of these 2TB drives should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Light speed reply there :p

Thanks, but I'd like to hear some more opinions not based on brand alone, maybe someone used one of these drives here?

They all have the same warranty and same price. I can't imagine the difference in cache would really make a difference between them.

The only standout difference between the three is that the Hitachi is a 7200RPM drive so it'll have better seek performance (I don't know about throughput numbers). But if these are just storage drives for media, then I'd think the 5900RPM drives would be just fine.

I guess on the lower power consumption front, either the seagate or WD would be the choice. Between those two I would flip a coin. :)

if you don't plan on raiding them go for the wd or samsung, which you didn't link. If you do plan on going raid then get the hitachi

The WD20EARS is an advanced format drive which add extra hassle on older versions of Windows like XP and 2003.

i wouldnt touch the seagate with a 10 ft pole... WD and Hatachi id buy in a heart beat... i have had a hitachi 500gb and a 1tb up for 24/7 for over a year now with zero bad sectors and no problems what so ever.

I've always trusted WD as well.
Only other HDDs that I've had have been Maxtors and boy do they like to fail.
Tried a seagate but it was DOI. Swapped it for a WD :D

I'd suggest WD, as I have about 12 of the EADS 2TB versions, but since theyre being phased out to make way for the EARS, I have a handful of the Hitachi 2TB (though I got this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145276 , I think theyre same (retail & non) they were the same price for awhile).
I have them in a passive cooling enclosure and it doesnt get hot at all transferring music & movies and back ups to it.

I'm waiting out the Advanced formatted drives for awhile to see some more stability out of them.

So at any rate, my vote is go with the Hitachi.

If you don't need it right away I would wait for a sale. 2TB drives have been on sale in the 100 range lately. As for brand I have no loyalty and buy whatever is cheapest.

Like was said before if you want a little better speed or want to run RAID, get the Hitatchi. If you want lower power usage I would probably get the WD. I have nothing against Seagate (all 5 of my drives are Seagate currently), but the WD has more cache and advanced format.

i wouldnt touch the seagate with a 10 ft pole...

Yes, learn from my mistake. Don't buy a seagate. Had it for about 8 months as an external, then it stopped showing up my computer, so i ripped it apart and plugged a sata cord into it; now it's an internal. And according to a SMART monitor it is degrading badly.

However, my WD Blue 160GB is doing fine after almost constant 24/7 use. You really do get what you pay for...

another one on the bandwagon for the WD's -- i've got 5 of the 1TB greens in my media setup right now, swapping to 2TBs here in a couple weeks :)

I've run WD for years, still have some 40gb drives that still run just fine. Zero failures. I've had Seagates fail and take data with them.

In an attempt to offer more than just another vote to the landslide for WD, I'd take a look at the black edition over the green, and make sure you're aware of the 4kb over 512 byte thing as well.

I've run WD for years, still have some 40gb drives that still run just fine. Zero failures. I've had Seagates fail and take data with them.

In an attempt to offer more than just another vote to the landslide for WD, I'd take a look at the black edition over the green, and make sure you're aware of the 4kb over 512 byte thing as well.

I agree, one thing to make note of the new WD Greens is the new 4kb vs 512byte sector advanced format.

I havent personally tried them myself but I doubt they should have much issues with newer OS'. But i'll let them tide over for awhile.
However I am really liking the Hitachis..they might have had some issues in the past but I think theyre fairly solid this time around, on par with WD from my experience.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I decided to go with the WD.

It will arrive shortly.

I'm aware of the 'advanced format' thing, should be no problem with Windows 7.

Back