• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best BFTB 100-128GB SATA2 SSD's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

King107s

I have a bit of extra spending cash and i'm looking to put an SSD in my system (see sig) as a OS drive. So i'm looking for a drive in the 100-128GB range with SATA2 connection and want to get the best bang for the buck.

I've been eye balling the OCZ Vertex LE OCZSSD2-1VTXLE100G 2.5" 100GB SATA II MLC which is 100GB @ 270/250 MB/s read/Write for $300 after rebate

Looking for suggestions, trying to keep price below $350 (if thats possible).

Somewhat lower performance, but you could get three or four of this 32GB @ $80 ($70 AMIR) inside your price range, and stick them in RAID 0 for better performance.

Or, there's a 3.5" OCZ 120GB for $350.

On the RAID 0 configuration, wouldn't the Random access rates still suffer compared to a single faster drive? Sustained reads should be the only thing that gets a real boost but I'm not really up to date here so correct me if I'm wrong.

Good find on the 120GB drive, not sure if its worth the extra $50 performance wise but when you consider $/GB it might be.

Also wanted to ask if the applications used to implement TRIM in Vista 64 were any good or comprable to it being native as in Windows 7?

i would just go for the single drive... raid is more problems and not all drives support trim under raid.. not to mention updating the firmware is a PITA when your in raid because u have to get them off raid so u need a extra hdd to install windows to have the ssd's as slaves...

get the single drive and be done with it

i dont know how much the intel drives are right now but have you thought about going with intel?

Go with a new OCZ Vertex 2 100G. Newegg just dropped the price to $389. Its a bit more that you wanted to spend but its worth it. It utilizes the new SandForce controller which produces insane speeds.
I would also agree with above post and not bother with RAID setup. With one of the latest drives you're more likely to hit SATA 2 limits than gain performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9109&cm_re=kingston_v+-_-20-139-109-_-Product

The Kingston I listed is a second generation Intel drive that has half the memory chips of the full blown Intel drives. I looked at OCZ, but I wanted to make sure that I get one that works extremely well, so I went with an Intel branded one. I purchased it when it was on sale for 256 and I'm very glad I did.

It may use Intel flash, but the controller is made by Samsung. Still a good drive, just wanted to clarify that before someone grabbed one expecting Intel performance out of it.

As far as grabbing a drive now. The Kingston is a decent $/GB drive. I see sales for first gen Agility and Vertex drives pretty often at around $300. I actually like the idea of several smaller drives in a RAID configuration. I'm not sure about using the Onyx though. I know the Vertex and Agility lines have very aggressive Garbage Collection, but I have no clue about the Onyx drive or even if the Amigo controller supports it.

i would just go for the single drive... raid is more problems and not all drives support trim under raid.. not to mention updating the firmware is a PITA when your in raid because u have to get them off raid so u need a extra hdd to install windows to have the ssd's as slaves...

get the single drive and be done with it

i dont know how much the intel drives are right now but have you thought about going with intel?

Thanks, I thought that might be the case... Haven't looked at Intel yet but will.

Go with a new OCZ Vertex 2 100G. Newegg just dropped the price to $389. Its a bit more that you wanted to spend but its worth it. It utilizes the new SandForce controller which produces insane speeds.
I would also agree with above post and not bother with RAID setup. With one of the latest drives you're more likely to hit SATA 2 limits than gain performance.

Alot of people have been talking about the Vertex 2 but the Vertex LE uses the same controller has the same amount of storage and is only a few MB/s slower for $75 less.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9109&cm_re=kingston_v+-_-20-139-109-_-Product

The Kingston I listed is a second generation Intel drive that has half the memory chips of the full blown Intel drives. I looked at OCZ, but I wanted to make sure that I get one that works extremely well, so I went with an Intel branded one. I purchased it when it was on sale for 256 and I'm very glad I did.

Thanks for the suggestion. I know Kingston makes decent drives but this one in particular seems to be more expensive and rated at considerably slower speeds than the Vertex drives. I am probably missing something though so please let me know.

Vertex LE will not be around for long, where Vertex2 is a new product. Also Vertex2 has 50,000 IOPS vs LE's 15,000.

Vertex LE does not use the same controller as the vertex2 or agility2. both V2 and A2 use the same sandforce 1200 controller, the A2 gets a FW that limits IOP's. the Vertex LE uses a sandforce 1500 controller which is a bit older/mature but is suppose to be faster. i think OCZ limited the IOPS on the LE for a reason, so the new Vertex 2 would look better spec wise. that is just what im thinking about the IOPs difference between the Vertex Le and Vertex 2. you can find the controllers used for sure in reviews done by www.benchmarkreviews.com , i think they have V-LE/V2/A2 reviews up.

Sorry I initially found some bad information, should have checked it.

Vertex 2 has native TRIM support too which is very attractive.

Think i'm pretty much set on the OCZ Vertex 2 100GB SSD :bday:

As soon as my bonus comes in I'm gonna snatch one up and post some benchmarks.

Thanks for the help gents!

Hey guys, I pulled the trigger and will have a new OCZ Vertex 2 100GB SSD early next week :santa:

Found a good deal that I wanted to share: $337 +S&H @ http://www.compuplus.com/ and they are actually in stock!

Back