• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running hot!!! Max temp for Intel 945GC Northbridge?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmdixon85

So it's warming up here in the UK and I'm getting worried about my fileservers NB temp :(

A couple of pics:

SNC00009-1.jpg

SNC00010-1.jpg

The temp sensor of the Coolermaster (the thing with three blue circles :) ) is shoved inbetween the fins of the NB heatsink and its reading an alarming temp! 70c! And thats just the heatsink, I don't even want to know what the actual temp of the NB chip is! Plus the motherboard has no sensor for it anyway. The temp on the LCD display is the air intake temp, just behind the mesh at the front - bottom of the PC. Do you recommend I purchase a small 40mm fan for the NB or will this temp be ok? The case already has 1-140mm front intake, 1-120mm Exhaust and 2-120mm side panel fans blowing into the case. I'm getting worried my server could go POP! at any minute :(

And just if anyone asks: I've swapped temp sensors between the Coolermaster and the built in LCD and both temp probes report the same so no faulty sensors. It does burn if you touch the NB anyway!

The Tc-max (Case Temp. Max) surface temp., measured at the geometric center of the die, for the 82945GC (G)MCH is 99 °C. The correct method of measuring the MCH temp. is to install a thermocouple in a milled slot in the base of the heatsink.

I've just seen this on the Intel 945GC data sheet:

"NOTES:
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]1. Possible damage to the (G)MCH may occur if the (G)MCH temperature exceeds 150 °C. Intel does not warrant functionality for parts that have exceeded temperatures above 150 °C since this exceeds Intel’s specification."[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial,Arial]150c! It can really get that hot! :shock:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]Maybe my server is going to be fine? :shrug:[/FONT]

The Tc-max (Case Temp. Max) surface temp., measured at the geometric center of the die, for the 82945GC (G)MCH is 99 °C. The correct method of measuring the MCH temp. is to install a thermocouple in a milled slot in the base of the heatsink.

I might get the drill out then, I think the results will be scary tho :shock:

Back