• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper Changed Color

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrLarkins

Copper WaterBlock not shiny anymore...Problem?

My DTEK block was nice and shiny when new, the last time I redid my loop I took it apart and it was very dull, not copper in color either. Very dark...Any way to make it shiny again or does it even matter? I mean, temps are no higher now than when I first built the loop.

It's dark like an old penny, but not green, just dark dark copper. Solvent and toothbrush an option?

Last edited:
most copper oxidizes or tarnishes over time, what coolant are you using as some more aggressive ones can accelerate this process.. not gonna teach you to suck eggs but you know the drill on whats recommended here :)

suck eggs???
give needless assistance or presume to offer advice to an expert. ah, ok
haven't heard that phrase before. seriously, I had to google that! http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-tea1.htm

ok, I use nothing but distilled water through Tygon Silver tubing.

Last edited:
Brasso will polish it up but I've never bothered because, as you say, it doesn't appear to affect temperatures. I never bothered cleaning it off the base of the block either.

What i think it is ( if i have understood it right ) is that the ketchup will remove the oxidation and make it shiny again
Someone correct me if i'm wrong

VERY INTERESTING..but if its the vinegar, couldn't I just use straight vinegar instead of ketsup?

any copper exposed to air will oxidize no need to do any thing as it wont affect the temps . Unless you can get a temp probe with three or four places after the (.) =)

I've used vinegar water and flour to clean copper pipes, but because the more knowlegable people say ketsup, I would use ketsup due to the expense of parts and relative inexpense to ketsup. I think it is because off the low levels of vinegar.

raw, high-purity copper will oxidize (tarnish) when exposed to open air

take the block apart and soak the copper parts in distilled white vinegar for 6-24 hours (I soak the blocks overnight myself)

while still submerged after soaking, use a medium toothbrush to scrub the block

then remove from the vinegar and bathe it in isopropyl alcohol and let dry

do not use brasso or other metal polishes - they will leave a nasty film on the surface of the copper

I'd always assumed any film left by Brasso would be removed when you cleaned the block with TIM Cleaner/Isopropyl Alcohol?

i let my block sit with ketchup on it for 30 minutes or put them in a bath of pure vinegar for the same amount of time. if i need to, i scrub any remaining spots.

vinegar is less messy though.

to above post, it should be removed with proper block cleaning :)

Mr Larkins. I see by your post you don't read the forums much, you post etc when issues arise. It's something we live with, part of watercooling, don't fret it.

You see the very typical copper oxidation, common in all setups with proper liquids. Having JUST oxidation is great, your doing good.

And yes, Ketchup works fine. Cover the block with good ol refigreator ketchup, let it sit an hour or two. It's slighty acidic, not too much. Then gently take a old toothbrush and begin to gently scrub, spend 15-30 min. Rinse, redo. It will never be the virgin you once had, but will be perfectly, 100% perfect.

My GTZ was like that it cleaned up perfect. Even Gabe (Swiftech CEO saw the pics and said yea thats fine at a CES private party)

Follow this link., scroll down.
http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleaning-rebuild-journal/

Back