• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate 7200.12 not being detected

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mofei1

I was using my computer then windows suddenly froze. I didnt think much of it so just hit the reset button on my computer. Upon restarting, the computer got stuck on post when trying to detect the hard drives. I then removed the seagate hard drive and the computer managed to get past the hard drive detection part. I've tried the hard drive on another computer but the same thing happens.

This drive was my main hard drive with windows 7 installed. Is there any way to fix it as I would like to get some data off it. The hard drive seems to be spinning but then eventually slows down or stops spinning (i'm not sure).

The hard drive is a seagate 1TB (ST31000528AS). Thanks! :soda:

Have you tried setting it as the slave, booting to another harddrive (OS installed) and accessing it within windows?

If you can do that, you can pull the information off, otherwise going to have to look at a data recovery program if its not totally shot.

I have messed around with a Linux distro called Puppy that is very light and might allow you to grab the data off of it. Puppy can be loaded from a CD drive and will should you to mount the HDD that you are having issues with. here is a link to the site that has many different Linux distros. http://distrowatch.com/
and here is the link to Puppy: http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=06068

You are going to have to load the iso file onto a disk and boot up from there. Hope that you get your data back!

Ya no problems with my 7200.12 1TB either....

+1 @ Doz's suggestion

Strange that you didnt have any file coruption before failure. Did you hear it clicking or making any other noises?

Check the PSU and make sure your voltages are in spec, I've seen failing PSU's corupt HDD's.

I was using my computer then windows suddenly froze. I didnt think much of it so just hit the reset button on my computer. Upon restarting, the computer got stuck on post when trying to detect the hard drives. I then removed the seagate hard drive and the computer managed to get past the hard drive detection part. I've tried the hard drive on another computer but the same thing happens.

This drive was my main hard drive with windows 7 installed. Is there any way to fix it as I would like to get some data off it. The hard drive seems to be spinning but then eventually slows down or stops spinning (i'm not sure).

The hard drive is a seagate 1TB (ST31000528AS). Thanks! :soda:

This happened to me when my SSD died... computer locked up, reset it, and never saw that data again. Tried for a week to get it to work, and got nothing. :/ Think that means the controller died.

If the controller died, you could buy another of the same HDD and swap out the controller to get the data off then put it back on the new drive and RMA. Depends on how bad you want that data.

Back