• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did i get a DOA card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dylan33p

heres my rig...

MSI 790fx-gd70
thermaltake evo-blu 650 psu
phenom II 955
4g ddr3 mushkin

i had my old ATI x1800xt in there and it ran fine. i went to upgrade to a 5850, seated and plugged it in correctly but the monitor was getting no signal. everything in the system started up but i cant tell if it posted or not since the monitor was getting no signal.

put the x1800 back in and that one once again worked fine.

ive tried all pci-e slots and upgraded the bios... not sure what else it could be.

yesterday a friend just built a new pc with a gtx 275 but also couldnt get a signal form his monitor, he switched his mobo and it worked fine. i have a hard time believing my problem to also be a bad mobo though since the x1800 works fine.

any suggestions?

u can try the following things that i always like to do

1. try your 5850 in your freinds computer, if it works in his and not yours then your power supply might not be putting out enough wattage.

2. use a digital multimeter to test your power supply to make sure it is putting out what its rated for.

3. if u have tryed it in more than 2 computers with same issue as u described then its the card. (assuming appropriate conditions are met)

4.try all the display ports on the back of the card if possible to make sure its not like a bad video connector, erm had that happen one time.

basic process of elimination since your old gpu works fine its not the mobo since PCIE 2.0 is backwards compatible with gen 1 PCIE 1.0 so your still left with it eaither being the 5850 or powersupply. :cool:

and also welcome to this fine community, always good to see new faces.

Last edited:
Back