• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Diagnostics Policy Service

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coreyoliseffect

[SOLVED]Diagnostics Policy Service

I recently reconnected my router so that I could transfer some files from my laptop to my desktop and much to my surprise I can not connect to my network. I have tried running the troubleshooter and the results were lack luster to say the least. It refers to a Diagnostics Policy Service. I pulleg up MSConfig to have a look and the service says that it is stopped. I disabled and re-enabled the service and still nothing. I even tried reinstalling the drivers and still nothing.

A little background may help. I have recently moved to an area where there is no lan line available, other than dial up... So I switched over to Verizon mobile broadband and that is now how I connect tot he net. I recently got the brgiht idea to try and share the connection with the router to therefore be able to share it with my network. This for me involved a lot of time with no result. The course of this action involved disable/enabling the different devices.

My first thought here is just to get back to square one with the devices if possible.

OR

Is there some way to re-enable the policy service so that Win 7(64bit) will be happy again?

P.S. One more nail in the coffin for Microsoft. I swear that I am going to switch everything to Linux!!!:sly:

Last edited:
Did you mess with any other services? MS is not to blame.
By the default that should have been AUTOMATIC: Started
...along with Diagnostic Service Host: AUTOMATIC: Started
....with Diagnostic System Host: MANUAL: Started

....as well a few other services rely together to work.

Type in SEARCH bar: services <= and press enter....to check
right click on it and choose PROPERTIES set to AUTOMATIC + press Start service

Last edited:
I set both of those to automatic. I had only been looking at the Diagnostic Policy. When I try to start it however it it says that it did not respond in a timely manner.

Restarting... BRB

EDIT: Still the same thing after I popped back into Windows. I verified that Diagnostic Policy Service, Service Host, and System Host are all set to Automatic. It does not state that they are stated.

Check and make sure NONE of these are disabled...then restart

Network Store Interface Service AUTOMATIC
Network Location Awareness AUTOMATIC
Network List Service MANUAL
Network Connections MANUAL
Server AUTOMATIC
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper AUTOMATIC
IP Helper AUTOMATIC
DNS Client AUTOMATIC
Distributed Link Tracking Client AUTOMATIC
Diagnostic Policy Service AUTOMATIC
DHCP Client AUTOMATIC
SSDP Discovery MANUAL

I ended up heading for the bed. Thanks for your quick replies.

Sadly there is still no changes to what it is doing. When I run the troubleshooter it finds that the diagnostic policy is not running but it won't or can't start it.

Back