• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AT&T Discontinues Unlimited Data Plan for iPhone/iPad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Decreasing bandwidth costs + decreasing service reliability + decreasing coverage quality + increasing prices = profit^4. AT&T is all about the money...

Wow - That didn't last long :p

That's pretty big. I thought you couldn't even tether the iPhone/iPad (at least not w/o jailbreaking it - correct?) - so why all the stupid caps?

:cool:

I was in the Apple store Tuesday and some guy was asking the person at the genius bar how to tether his iPhone, explaining that other smartphones can do it, why can't the iPhone. The genius bar was feigning ignorance and replied that "you might want to check with AT&T about that, they sell 3G data cards that will allow you to access the web."

I really wanted to tell the guy that he could do it easily...if he jailbroke.

But I kept my mouth shut and continued to wait for my appointment. It was not easy keeping quiet, believe me.

that sucks. I was looking to pick up the new Iphone when it ships in July.
When will Apple start porting the device to other vendors, I really hate this proprietary crap.

I was in the Apple store Tuesday and some guy was asking the person at the genius bar how to tether his iPhone, explaining that other smartphones can do it, why can't the iPhone. The genius bar was feigning ignorance and replied that "you might want to check with AT&T about that, they sell 3G data cards that will allow you to access the web."

I really wanted to tell the guy that he could do it easily...if he jailbroke.

But I kept my mouth shut and continued to wait for my appointment. It was not easy keeping quiet, believe me.

Perfect example of why I get kicked out of stores and glares from sales reps.

I WILL tell someone what they can do/should do with their money. Last weekend in Microcenter I took over for a sales rep who was trying to sell the guy the cheapest possible PSU amongst other things.

The rep looked at me with pure hatred, I told him that I had minimal issue with his sales technique up until he stated that a PSU is a PSU and it doesnt matter who makes it. I put they guy onto Corsair, Evga, and then helped tweak his current pile into a bit more powerful and better quality selection.

I cant believe AT&T Discontinues Unlimited Data Plan for iPhone/iPad they just want your money and do not want to deal with your service.:shrug:

i imagine that all this will do is tick off a ton of parents whose kids have iphones. the kids are going to download all sorts of crap and go way over their limit and they will have cell phone bills in the hundreds of dollars... i can just see it now :rolleyes:

i will be keeping my $30 plan, thanks :)

AT&T has been getting worse over the years with the way they do things. They decrease the quality of the features and increase penalties too. They are basically taking advantage of the fact that they started off with the iPhone so they are trying to milk it for everything it is worth before their exclusivity runs out. So, if you already have unlimited data, you might want too do your best to keep it. I just realized that just using Pandora for several hours a day, can eat through the new low data plans they are offering.
Just my 2 cents.

one thing that still blows my mind is that they charge you extra for texting even if you have a data plan. i can understand charging without a data plan, but just throw the 1k of data onto my data plan usage and don't charge me for text messaging!

yeah, i have a smartphone but use wifi only. I had ATT turn off all data on my service, completely, including MMS. the girl was like "so you won't be able to get picture messages" and i said "right, and you won't be able to get my money"

I am one of the few who love AT&T!:shrug: My plan with 2 Iphone's(and a third Nokia) and a third iphone coming this month, to replace the nokia is the least inexpensive plan I could imagine.

I talk 80% with other AT&T users(My family) I have EDITED for a year and a half now and I still never get close to their new 2GB cap. (Tho I will be keeping my unlimited plan on both.)

450 min plan. 1900 rollover min avail. every month. You buy one app...its good on all 3 phones plus ipod touch's plus ipad's.

I just keep all my heavy lifting...mainly podcast downloads to my Wifi.

If you are in the right area of the country AT&T rocks.:thup:

I like that I am grandfathered in, but I also like that with the $15 plan a third phone is now affordable for my daughter. She is very responsible and I mean if a kid isn't it? Its up to the parents to deal with it...Harshly!

A Jailbroken iphone is a thing of beauty:drool:!

one thing that still blows my mind is that they charge you extra for texting even if you have a data plan. i can understand charging without a data plan, but just throw the 1k of data onto my data plan usage and don't charge me for text messaging!
Have you tried the app "Textfree"?

Last edited:
yeah, i have a smartphone but use wifi only. I had ATT turn off all data on my service, completely, including MMS. the girl was like "so you won't be able to get picture messages" and i said "right, and you won't be able to get my money"

So...correct me if I'm wrong. You can still connect and browse and whatnot if you connect wifi (granted wifi is available) and it cost nothing? The data plans are just basically guaranteed connection if wifi is not available?

Sorry for the nub questions, just looking to get a smartphone myself and the more I know the better. :)

Oh and what is mms?

So...correct me if I'm wrong. You can still connect and browse and whatnot if you connect wifi (granted wifi is available) and it cost nothing? The data plans are just basically guaranteed connection if wifi is not available?

Sorry for the nub questions, just looking to get a smartphone myself and the more I know the better. :)

the data plan that you are required to purchase is for data over the cellular provider's network, not over wireless access points (wifi). so yes, your logic is correct. i think you will be hard pressed to find a provider that doesn't require a data connection for most smartphones though.

i think you will be hard pressed to find a provider that doesn't require a data connection for most smartphones though.

True, but I was looking at the ATT 2g plans, but now I'm considering the 200mb plan, since where I live most places are wifi available, heck...even McDonalds is wifi ready now :p.

I currently have Verizon (thinking of going ATT, not sure yet), they are for the most part great, but like ATT they have their shady moments and bad customer service, but I'm sure they all do to some extent or another.

Anyway, sorry to hijack this thread and go off topic a little. :)

Back