• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 750 at 3.7ghz.. what needs to be changed to get stable 3.8?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kugutsumin

Registered
Hey OCF

My mobo is EVGA p55 sli, ram OCZ gold 1333 2x 2gb, PSU is Corsair 750..
current voltages and frequencies...
185 BCLK 2:8 ratio = 3.7 cpu and 1484 mhz memory 9-9-9-20
Vcore 1.33750 but with no vdroop 1.350 during load
VTT 1.250v
DIMM 1.66v
CPU PWM 849 khz
VTT PWM 634 khz
DDR PWM 634 khz

With these settings no errors after 5 hours of prime... but can't get a stable 3.8, assistance, advice, enlightenment etc appreciated.

Your ram. OCZ gold isnt great stuff in the DDR3 line. Id suggest dropping to a 2:6 divider see if that fixes it.

If it doesnt fix it (quick and simple check), bump up the vcore. Also, you could try up'ing the VTT to 1.275-1.3v see if that helps it out.

Remember to try one thing at a time, to rule out problems 1 at a time.

As long as you run your ram at its rated spec/speed, youll be ok. Some ram chips will overclock without an issue, others wont like it. Sometimes theres certain points they hit as well where they wont go past.

Just like a CPU, except twice as finicky :)

ok now i got 3.8 stable and what worked was changing the ratio to 2:6... it's actually stable at 1.250v vcore.. the rest of my settings are the same. Could anything else come down? The PWM frequencies necessary?

Totally agree, almost all i5-750's I've seen can do 4ghz at 1.35 Vcore or less.

That would be nice, mine takes over 1.4 to get there
ok now i got 3.8 stable and what worked was changing the ratio to 2:6... it's actually stable at 1.250v vcore.. the rest of my settings are the same. Could anything else come down? The PWM frequencies necessary?

On my P55 FTW I never noticed any better stability by upping the PWM freq. You may need to bump the VTT up a notch though I can run up to 190 at 1.25 and 200 with 1.275 but every board/chip is different. I did notice after about 3.6 to 3.7 the vcore needed to go father increased a lot. I could do 3.8 at around 1.36ish but 4.0 takes closer to 1.45.

Last edited:
Back