• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build - ..Need Help..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

swanylite

Registered
I was looking to get an Alienware Aurora and came across several sites saying not to get one. So I decided to attempt to build my own computer with your suggestions.

Here is the following hardware I would like to have on the pc:
i7-930 processor or higher
single or dual ATI Radeon 5870/5970
6-12 GB ram 1333 or higher
1 TB Raid 0 configuration
Really need help on a motherboard and I would like to liquid cool the processor
No idea on the power supply
Need help on a computer case, I really don't want a loud computer case
A media card reader
A fairly nice sound card
I will try to overclock once I get the system up and running

I am hoping to spend around $1800 for the system, not including the monitor.

If you have suggestions please let me know since this will be the first time trying to assemble a computer. I am a network administrator so I am very familiar with computers.

This build is getting expensive, I am not sure about the hardware I have picked out. I believe it will be around $ 2000 without the OS and a monitor. Is there any hardware that does not look right?

Motherboard: EVGA X58 FTW3 $270
CPU: I7-930 $290
Memory: Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 12MB $420
PSU: Corsair CMPSU - 850HX $170
Harddrives: Western Digital RE3 500GB x 2 $180
Graphics: ATI Radeon 5870 1GB $400
All in one media: $20
DVD/CD burner: $25
CPU Heatsink: $100
Computer Case: $100

I still don't know what type of heatsink/water cooler and computer case to get. So it is looking fairly expensive, more then I wanted to spend.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums :welcome:
Since $1800 is pretty high end, you can easily fit in an SSD with plenty left over for the case.
There are many motherboards that fit the bill. I've had good luck with ASUS so you might want to look into the Rampage III Extreme or the P6T/P6T-Deluxe. As for the Power supply, you have many choices. Corsair TX850 seems to be low priced at this point ($130 AMIR).

You can also check out XFX units or Seasonic units at the 800W range (since you plan on a dual GPU config eventually).

Welcome from me too!!!

Anyways, first regarding the video cards. It looks like you're looking to spend about $400 dollars. So I provide linkage for you. Unless you are looking to super future-proof, dual 5770's are a good price to performance choice right now

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-geforce-radeon,2646-5.html

Second, as far as water cooling...that is a whole different ball game. Here is a link to the forum's water cooling stuff.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71

If you are only looking to water cool the CPU, something like the corsair H50 might be a good route to go. Or maybe the ECO C240...

http://coolitsystems.com/index.php/en/products/16-custom-cooling/190-eco-alc-240.html.

It all depends on how much work you want to put into the cooling setup, and I can promise you that it will be quite a bit.

EDIT: What size monitor do you have???

Case choice is totally up to you, are you looking to go full tower, or mid tower? And how quiet to you need it to be? I googled "quiet computer case" and found this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146051&cm_re=nzxt-_-11-146-051-_-Product

Looks interesting but obviously I wouldn't know anything about it. If you are not in need of silence then the case itself will not matter too much. It's all a matter of how many case fans you have and how fast you run them.

If you want to go the route of water cooling, that will greatly reduce your noise levels in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still contemplating about the motherboard. What is your opinion on the EVGA X58 FTW3 motherboard? How does it compare to an ASUS board?

Also I am really thinking about getting the Corsair H50, does it make alot of noise?

You are a network admin, you need a PC that will run long and stable and that has many I/O slots with various functions.

Get a Gigabyte Ultra Durable class motherboard like GA-X58A-UD5 that has at least dual LAN ports, many sata and e-sata ports and many other great functionalities.

Anyway, i would suggest drop the Core i7 thing. If you are a true network admin, get a GA-EP45-DQ6 - just look what it has outside, this is the type of motherboards for you.

Also for hard drives, i suggest getting a pair of enterprise storage hard drives and making raid 1, not 0.

Artas1984

Your post makes no sense, why would I want an intel core 2 processor and then mirror the hard drives?

I am building a gaming/personal computer not storing important information on it.

I think Artas misread that this will be your personal computer.

He mightve thought you need a work computer since you said you were a network admin

Still contemplating about the motherboard. What is your opinion on the EVGA X58 FTW3 motherboard? How does it compare to an ASUS board?

Also I am really thinking about getting the Corsair H50, does it make alot of noise?
The H50 is quiet, however the fans make noise.

I would purchase the ASUS board or Gigabyte board, they are both good boards, also they both have a 3 year warranty and they support that well.:)

Between the ASUS and GIGABYTE boards, which one do you prefer?

I don't think I will ever have more than 2 monitors hooked up. I still want to configure RAID 0, not sure which board has better audio. The board needs to have USB 3. If possible and I don't know if either board has an e-sata connection on it.

What do you guys look at for a great motherboard?

I have stated my taste as i imagine being the network admin means "LOCAL NETWORK ADMIN", which has a central PC, and other PCs would be connected near, that's why i recommended the Gigabyte S775 board like GA-EP45-DQ6, which has awesome features for a local network admin like many USB and sata slots and FOUR LAN sockets Built-in TPM chip with encryption to protect data + 12 phase power saver, supreme ALC889A audio + dolby theater, quad bios for super security, and many more - man, i recommended a thing for an admin all right...

The Evga board is for gamer, so i guess i misunderstood your needs...

And the fastest Core i7 CPUS are not that far aheaed of the fastest S775 CPUS, that is why i don't see ANY benefit in building a rig of Core i7 920 over Core 2 Quad Q9450. Yes sir! Core i7 from Core 2 Quad is nothing more than a minor upgrade like 9800GTX was from 8800GTX and most will agree with me...

So i have no clue than about network admin? You don't say that you are building a rig at home place? And i suggested raid 1, since for a network admin security is more important than super fast speed. You can compensate that with fast drives...

Last edited:
I believe Wingman99 has changed my mind on the motherboard. I have been looking at the Asus P6X58D and P6X58D-E. The main concern I have is the responses to 12GB of memory working and not working on this board. Does anyone own this board and if so are you using 12GB RAM, which company do you recommend for the memory?

I was looking to get an Alienware Aurora and came across several sites saying not to get one. So I decided to attempt to build my own computer with your suggestions.

Here is the following hardware I would like to have on the pc:
i7-930 processor or higher
single or dual ATI Radeon 5870/5970
6-12 GB ram 1333 or higher
1 TB Raid 0 configuration
Really need help on a motherboard and I would like to liquid cool the processor
No idea on the power supply
Need help on a computer case, I really don't want a loud computer case
A media card reader
A fairly nice sound card
I will try to overclock once I get the system up and running

I am hoping to spend around $1800 for the system, not including the monitor.

If you have suggestions please let me know since this will be the first time trying to assemble a computer. I am a network administrator so I am very familiar with computers.

This build is getting expensive, I am not sure about the hardware I have picked out. I believe it will be around $ 2000 without the OS and a monitor. Is there any hardware that does not look right?

Motherboard: EVGA X58 FTW3 $270
CPU: I7-930 $290
Memory: Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 12MB $420
PSU: Corsair CMPSU - 850HX $170
Harddrives: Western Digital RE3 500GB x 2 $180
Graphics: ATI Radeon 5870 1GB $400
All in one media: $20
DVD/CD burner: $25
CPU Heatsink: $100
Computer Case: $100

I still don't know what type of heatsink/water cooler and computer case to get. So it is looking fairly expensive, more then I wanted to spend.

Mobo looks good, but i'd go i7 860 to save some cash
Memory, that is way too much. 4G will do plenty - 8G if you have some leftover
PSU: Great PSU, im pretty sure its a bit cheaper at newegg...
Hard drives, I would get the caviar black series.
CPU heatsink; for $100 you can get a Megahalems + 1 or 2 nice fans
Computer case; Get something nice like a storm sniper or scout, HAF 922 or CM 690 series.

As for video, with the setup I suggested, you'll have enough for an SLI/Xfire setup. Either GTX470 SLI or 5870 Xfire.

-D

Back