• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good PWM Fan Controller?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

Way back in the day, I bought a Vantec Nexus fan controller. Solid aluminum, 4-channels, and it worked on PWM.

I'm looking to upgrade to an 8-channel (or 6) fan controller, but I can't for the life of me find anything that uses PWM. I'd rather use PWM because it generates less heat and its not an issue that I can't shut fans completely off. I know typical rheobuses don't generate a ton of heat, but it's the principle of the thing!

Anyone have any suggestions?

I have built my own fan controller. To the best of my knowledge there are no 5V PWM Controllers, but if you could point one out I would also greatly appreciate it. Check out the link in my sig and you will see my Home Made controller.

It works fine for controlling multiple fans because you don't run the 12V side through it.

I have built my own fan controller. To the best of my knowledge there are no 5V PWM Controllers, but if you could point one out I would also greatly appreciate it. Check out the link in my sig and you will see my Home Made controller.

It works fine for controlling multiple fans because you don't run the 12V side through it.

I've been watching yours since you started lol I wouldn't mind doing that myself but I want something pretty.

I also need a 12V controller, not 5V. Lowest pulse width at 12V is more than quiet enough for me.

Its not so much the noise with 12V Pwm, its the heat generation.

A 12V has large mosfets and heatsinks. That can generate a great deal of heat. If your just looking for a 12V I think that zalman makes one.

The problem is the Voltage going through them.

http://www.google.com/products?rlz=...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CCsQrQQwAg

Since the control side is 12V you pretty much have to put (in my case) 48W of power through it. That would kill most transistors or if they were large enough to accommodate, they would get hot as hell, literally. And on top of that, you can't run more than one fan or you will stack up wattage and have the same effect.

The vantec nexus is a 12V pwm and I've never noticed it getting hot even at full speed. And my fans aren't terribly fast so the current draw is not very high.

Yeah I suppose if your only using like 0.4A fans it wouldn't be too bad. A 4 or 5 amp draw is a lot different then a 40-50 A draw.

Even 6 - 0.4A fans would only be 28 amps, and if they are divided on 6 different channels, then your back to only a 4 am draw per channel. Stacked up all on one channel and you might see a difference.

Well either way, having those fans on a rheobus would be way worse.

Back