• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pagefile.sys do I even need it? (Windows XP)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have 2 gigs of ram.

For everyday computing you don't need it and can safely do away with the page file if you are using a netbook. However, you will gain little and could potentially lose a lot.

For example, I started having strange problems on my desktop machine with IE not opening new windows when I had many already open. Other applications would fail to launch for unknown reasons. I traced the problem to not having a page file when I had multiple windows and applications running. The strange thing is that WinXP didn't warn me I was out of pages, it just started acting in unpredictable ways.

The only reason not to have a page file is the situation where you have a slow SSD as the main drive, or you have a drive with very little space left and can't clean it.

For example, I started having strange problems on my desktop machine with IE not opening new windows when I had many already open. Other applications would fail to launch for unknown reasons. I traced the problem to not having a page file when I had multiple windows and applications running. The strange thing is that WinXP didn't warn me I was out of pages, it just started acting in unpredictable ways.

Orion, I'm not sure you are seeing an issue with the pagefile in what u mention above. More than likely your issue is with the desktop heap space, which for any power user should be increased to minimize the "too many open" windows issue.

Articles about desktop heap and how to change it:

Article 1

Article 2

Damn. This question has been asked quite a bit....

With 2GB of ram, keep it. With 4, its your choice, however as someone stated, there is little to gain from it while potentially a lot to lose. It just depends on teh applications you use and if it needs it.

Orion, I'm not sure you are seeing an issue with the pagefile in what u mention above. More than likely your issue is with the desktop heap space, which for any power user should be increased to minimize the "too many open" windows issue.

Articles about desktop heap and how to change it:

Article 1

Article 2

Could be, but reenabling the pagefile fixed the problem, unless heap space is related to the pagefile.

Back