• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I just got a SSD!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doomtuba

Registered
I finally cracked and joined the SSD club

This is the one I got. I was able to get it for 120 bones new since I had a gift certificate and MIR.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139112

I put it in my computer and did a fresh OS install on it. I download SSD Tweaker and made sure to turn off Windows from automatically defragging. I also set my BIOS to AHCI before I installed Windows. Anything else I'm missing? How do I tell if I have TRIM enabled?

Last edited:
from what i've read, windows 7 should automatically enable trim upon detecting an ssd while installation is taking place. as to checking if it's enabled within windows 7, i don't have a clue.

you can also double-check the superfetch and prefetch registry to make sure they are 0. if it's any other number, change it right away for your ssd.

you'll find out the number for it by going to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

and your newegg link is broken

Last edited:
To check if TRIM is enabled, Run command prompt as an admin and enter <fsutil behavior query Disabledeletenotify> The answers to this are Disabledeletenotify = 0 and Disabledeletenotify = 1. Getting a 0 means TRIM is on an running and 1 is the opposite.

Okay, TRIM is enabled. Thanks!

(p.s. link should be fixed)

Not a bad choice. I was pondering one of those, but the price I got on a new Vertex was un-pass-up-able.

But I have one question. What is your total space after formating in NTFS? I know that the Ocz drives have overhead so you get the advertised space, but I also know that intel doesn't so an 80gb x-25m is really ~75gb's. Is yours closer to intel or Ocz?

To check if TRIM is enabled, Run command prompt as an admin and enter <fsutil behavior query Disabledeletenotify> The answers to this are Disabledeletenotify = 0 and Disabledeletenotify = 1. Getting a 0 means TRIM is on an running and 1 is the opposite.

That only means that the OS is sending TRIM commands. It doesn't mean the drive knows what to do with the TRIM command. For that, the controller must support the TRIM command (it does) and the firmware must also do the same. Check which firmware you have to verify that TRIM is available.

Back