• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking q8300 stock cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Glad to have another member that is OCing! I know what you mean about being nervous with your first OC. Trust me it gets easier withe time. If you want an awesome thread to read about OCing check out HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - A Guide v1.7 that thread. There is a lot of info there but it is all good. I'll bet that once to get to 3.0GHz you are going to want to go farther and that thread will help you out tremendously as it did myself.

Looks like you have I.M.O.G in here helping you out. :thup: There are a lot of helpful peeps around these parts.

I have my setup posted in my sig. That usually helps everyone out. Speaking of my sig if you want to see some of the issues/triumphs that I had and how I got over them check the Q9400 link that I have. I started a thread much like this when I started working on my first OC.

A few suggestions, if I may, on software that you may want to go ahead and grab:

RealTemp - Temperature monitoring sofware for your CPU and GPU
CPUz - Stats about your CPU, MB, and RAM. A screen shot of this helps a lot of these guy out.
CPUID - Almost the same as CPUz. Show max, min, and average. I use it to compare the two. CPUz and CPUID
LinX - Quick stress test that will give you pretty good test for high temps. I usually run 5 passes of this then 10 to see if the system is stable.
Prime95 - I run this after I feel that the system is stable. I would suggest letting it run for about 6+ hours.

My biggest suggestion would be to play around in your BIOS and become familiar with the settings. Read up on them on Google. Don't do like I did and start fumbling through. :p It will cause much more headache than it is worth. If you change something that makes it so that your system doesn't POST you can always reset it. Be sure to know what you are changing first though!

Remember that everyone has their version of stable. Mine is after I play a game for a couple of hours and listen to music while doing so. Then I run P95 to be sure. Cheers! and :welcome: to the OC Forums!

If it is the ASUS Essentio CG5270-BP003 I think your problem OCing will not be your cooling but rather very little or no options to change the neccessary settings in the bios! Of course, I am basing this on an Essentio bios for an I5 650 sytem I recently looked at. Since it is an ASUS board you may be able to flash the bios to the commercial version of this or a similiar board. Maybe someone here has some experience with this board that can help you with that option.

If it is the ASUS Essentio CG5270-BP003 I think your problem OCing will not be your cooling but rather very little or no options to change the neccessary settings in the bios! Of course, I am basing this on an Essentio bios for an I5 650 sytem I recently looked at. Since it is an ASUS board you may be able to flash the bios to the commercial version of this or a similiar board. Maybe someone here has some experience with this board that can help you with that option.

I can update the bios through this default app on my computer

http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments_content.aspx?no=714

How would I determine if my bios was adequate for bios editing? I assume if I cannot locate a screen comparable to this...

http://images.devshed.com/dh/stories/ABIT_IP35_E/8.jpeg

EDIT:

I found my MOBO

http://www.motherboardpro.com/ASUS-...ICH7-uATX-ASUS-Motherboard-Retail-p-1302.html

I really can't answer your question with authority as I am not familiar with the ASUS G41 but if it is similiar in capabilities to Gigabyte's G41 it would at best give the mid 300FSB (not really good for a decent OC with a low multi cpu. ie. 7.5 x 350FSB = 2.6+ghz)...that is if you can get a workable bios. ( I tend to think not.) If that Essentio case is large enough to accept a full ATX mobo I would suggest you step up to a P45 chipset. You will then have both the OC option in the bios as well as some head room for a high FSB. You will need that for the low multi of the Q8300. ie. 7.5 x 470 FSB =3.5+ghz OC

Ducky? Did you solve this issue. I have the same set up as you and was wondering what you did to fix the issue. Were you able to edit you FSB in BIOS or did you have to puchase a new MoBo? If so then what did you buy that fit your case?

Back