• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vreg Temps problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jsv004

Hello folks =)

Let me introduce myself first, I go by J.V, I've been around this parts for a while now lurking reading up posts, but never registered till now. Just finished my WC loop about a week or 2 ago (dual loop), second time I've built a WC system.

Here's my set up:

- Intel Core i7 920 Bloom field @ 4ghz WC 33c(idle) - 66c(load)
- EVGA X58 3-way SLI Motherboard vanilla
- GPU: XFX5970 Black Edition water cooled (currently back to my old aired 4870 since the mcp355 pump for my GPU loop just died yesturday, calling to see if I can RMA it)
- Corsair Dominator SDRAM DDR3 1600 3GB (will upgrade to 6gb in the near future)
- 2x WD Velociraptor 150GB 10k RPM Sata 3.0GB/s in Raid 0, WD Raptor 500GB 7.2k extra storage
- Corsair CMPSU-1000HX 1000w PSU
- ABS Canyon 695 Case
- Windows 7 Pro 64bit
-

Here's my problem, as you can see in the pic below my temps for the Vreg is pretty high to me, it is being water cooled and it iddles at 65c up to 70c and up to 85c and over 90c under load :shock:. I'm asking if anyone can help me pin point the problem and what I can do to lower the temp on that, don't know what could be causing it since my temps for the other parts are very good, are this temps normal? seems awfully high for a WC set up.

th_temps.jpg

CPU temps are good with 33-37c(idle) and 63-66c(load) and the NB/SB are decent aswell.
On my CPU loop this is what I have: MCP655, XSPC Passive reservoir, 420Rad/140mmfans, Apoge GTZ, Bitspower Black freezer mosfet and NB/SB block. As you can see I have the CPU/Mosfet(Vreg)/NB-SB water cooled on this loop with this direction:

PUMP > Rad > CPU > MOSFET > NB/SB > Res > Pump (is this decent or do u have any suggestions?)

I was thinking it's hot because liquid is coming from the CPU to the mosfet that is causing the temps to go high but seeing that the NB/SB temps are decent it throws that theory out of the water.

Could it be the restriction? Here's what the tubing and fittings look like, GPU is on a separate loop in that pic:

th_20100520_0194.jpg

I finally have it stable at 4ghz with decent temps on the CPU and everything else except for the Vreg, this is the only concern I have right now. Although it gets that high it doesn't effect the temps in other parts much and it's stable. I've seen other people get high temps too but don't know if it's normal when it's WC'd or not.

Please help! :(

In loop water temperatures only vary by 2-3C max in any loop with decent flow. This has been tested and proven at skineelabs.com, anyone can read there for confirmation.

So that said, knowing that you have good temps on the rest of your components, your loop is doing a good job.

That doesn't leave a whole lot of options, other than poor contact/bad mounting on the mosfets. You'd be getting better temps with a heatsink and just pointing a fan at the area.

You do have a lot of 90 degree bends - while it looks nice, that's hurting your flow rate too.

Your flow rate has to be okay or your CPU temps would be poor. Umm. Lets see, just the Vregs eh? I'd think it's a mounting problem or the Mobo does a poor job of reporting the actual temps.

If the stock cooling and the same overclocks give the same temps as your waterblocks, then yea, I'd look at checking the mounting. Is the thermal tape thick enough? Have others used the same blocks and got better temps?

It's just hard to say, just tossing ideas out there.

You also have the XSPC passive res? The one with aluminum inside? It's not causing your problem but I hope your running some anti-corrosion in the loop for long term safety.

Thanks for the reply guys, I don't think it's a flow rate issue since the temps are decent for the other parts of the motherboard. I did made sure I had a good pump with a high flow rate since I knew I was going to use 90 degree fittings. I've done a small search and it seems there's other people with this issue with water cooling or aired, and a few that have temps below 40c idle and below 60 at load. Could be a mounting/contact issue. I'll have to take it out and check to see if in fact it's making contact.

I tighten the screws pretty tight and no change, same temps as before, I'll have to take it off and check contacts. If that's ok then I'll have to live with it until I upgrade again. Could it also be just a bad design on the mosfet for this particular board since allot of people have similar issues? I don't know. :bang head

One thing I notice though when I took the heatsink off to install the block 2 weeks ago, I noticed that there is one chip/capacitor that doesn't make contact with the heatsink, it had a thermal pad on it but heatsink doesn't reach it, and same thing with the water block, it doesn't make contact, both aren't long enough to reach it. Don't know if that's a normal design and if it's suppose to be like that. :confused:

You also have the XSPC passive res? The one with aluminum inside? It's not causing your problem but I hope your running some anti-corrosion in the loop for long term safety.

Yup, I'm using Feser One liquid cooling which has Anti-corrosion. =)

Okay, liquid is good. Aluminum is bad. Seen the Feser post at XS forums?
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226632&highlight=feser

Hmm, yea, you can see the contact on the Ttape when you take the block off. You should have very definate squares where the Vregs have compressed the Ttape. If not You can buy diff thickness tape at Performance PCs.

I'd also ask at Xtreme Forums, Mosfet cooling is much more common there. If you register but don't get a confirmation in a few days let me know.

And it could be they should of added a few more phases to help. I dunno, if many have this issue then maybe.

If the temps are the same from air cooling, yea, you might be able to do better. Keep at it.

Well I went back to stock settings and temps drop to 46-48c idle to 55c load for the Vreg, which are decent, not the best but not bad either. Temps on the CPU is 27c idle to 44c load on stock settings.

Maybe I put a voltage up too high, I'll have to play around with it to see.

That's an interesting read Con, pretty nasty stuff lol, hope I don't have a bad batch. I haven't had any problems with feser before and the people that I know haven't found any problems like that on their set up. Hopefully mine it's alright. I'll know for sure once I take it out next week when I re-route some tubing.

Well at least it's solved. Your temps aren't as high as they seem to be with a bad bios reading. Guess your good to go with WC blocks.

Thanks for the feedback and hope they come up with something for your board too.

Back