• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help repairing motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juane414

I bought an HP Pavilion DV4 (AMD version) that needs a little help. The little connector that connects the HDD to the motherboard is busted, otherwise the laptop works just fine. I'd like to try and replace the piece if possible before I scrap the motherboard and get a new one. Here's a picture with the piece that I need circled. Does anyone know where I can pick up one of those connectors? I can't seem to find one online.

Thanks for the help!
4689664248_c5aa4c73ee.jpg

Well... I ordered something that I think I can use to fix it, but I'll have to do some jury rigging. I'll post some pics next week when I start working on it. I can't do anything until the parts come :)

Yea I ordered the one for the DV2000. It's not going to be exact but I should be able to make it work. One of the 22 copper pins coming off the motherboard is also broken so I might have to find a way to replace that too.

So I ordered one of these guys and I'm going to try and attach it to the busted connector on my motherboard.

Here's a pic of what my motherboard looks like.
4699250398_6a9f9d11e5_o.jpg

Obviously something is missing... one of the 22 copper pins. So I'm going to try and take a small piece of copper wire and solder it into the new connector that I ordered and hopefully that will fix the problem. Whoever owned this laptop before was really messing around with it. There are number of screws missing, the hard drive caddy itself is in bad shape, and the HDD connector is completely busted. Hopefully I can get this thing running again and sell it for a few more bucks than I've invested in it so far.

Back