• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Model numbers matching and CPU upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GatorChamp

So I have made a few post about issues with my CPU and tried some recommendation but have come to the overall conclusion that I have a bad core or something of that nature. Large amounts of voltage will not make the processor stable at overclocks that I use to get without increasing voltage and one core continuously fails only a few hours into prime, even at stock speed/voltage. But I digress.

So as I am graduating soon (with two degrees I come to find out) I will no doubt be showered with money and will just upgrade my CPU. Now I am a little sad that my MOBO does not support x6 processors as it is a "AM3 Ready" mother board. :bang head The model is in my sig.

This is ASRock website list for supported CPUs:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=A780GM-LE/128M
Now I see what seems to be the x4 940, 955 and 965. However the model numbers do not match up on their site to the model numbers on Newegg. Now this may not be important at all and just by looking at the ASROCK site you can tell that the board does in fact support the 940, 955 and 965; and that would be awesome. Or you could tell me that they are some weird version of the processor that is no longer made, and that would suck.

Few things,
First, from reading and what research I have done on the 965 seems to be a big of a stickler when it comes to overclocking and people seem to achieve with the 955 identical results to the 965. So I am leaning towards the 955 at this point.

Second, what is the difference between:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808
They are the same price, they do come with different extras, HDMI vs $15 card. The model numbers ARE different but they are both 125w. One has 1200+ reviews and the other a few hundred. What am I missing looking at them?

Finally, is there any reasons I should not just grab the 940? I know its AM2+ and I'm not sure what that will do to limit future upgrades (motherboards, memory and so on).

If I am missing anything important here let me know. All opinions and comments are welcome. Look forward to input.

The difference in the 955's is the stepping, If you look at the model numbers the one ends with BGM which is the C3 stepping and the other is BGI which is the C2 stepping, Most of the O.C.ers prefer the C3 stepping.

The difference in the 955's is the stepping, If you look at the model numbers the one ends with BGM which is the C3 stepping and the other is BGI which is the C2 stepping, Most of the O.C.ers prefer the C3 stepping.

Awesome, thanks for that bit of info!

As Indy mentioned the only difference is the stepping, C2, and C3. Pick the one with less reviews.. the one with 270+ reviews is the C3.. C2 has been around for a while, and that's the one with 1200+ reviews on it. You want the C3, it will generally be a few degrees cooler, and allowing you to clock a bit higher with a bit less voltage.

In answer to your 940BE question, the 940BE can only be used in an AM2/AM2+ board - it does not support DDR3 RAM as the 945, 955, and 965 CPUs do. Also, the 940BE is an older CPU and will not OC nearly as well as the newer C3 steppings of the 955BE and 965BE ...

Ok well I am really leaning towards the 955 after reading this info. My board is a am2+ but its also "AM3 Ready." Seems though going with the old technology is not worth it to save the few $$$. Thanks for the input guys.

About the model numbers being different on newegg and on the ASROCK page. Is that something to worry about or is that not a big deal?

Ok well I am really leaning towards the 955 after reading this info. My board is a am2+ but its also "AM3 Ready." Seems though going with the old technology is not worth it to save the few $$$. Thanks for the input guys.

About the model numbers being different on newegg and on the ASROCK page. Is that something to worry about or is that not a big deal?
As long as it's the same CPU (i.e., 955BE, 965BE) it doesn't matter whether it's the C2 or C3 stepping ... :)

Back