• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first overclock - i5 4.2GHz on air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AKnerd

Hello folks! Let me first say thank you to all of you for all of the information here as it was extremely helpful with what is my first overclock. Miahallen, your guide was absolutely FANTASTIC, thanks!

Since this was my first time overclocking, I will have a few questions at then end of my post. Forgive me if I sound like a total OCing noob because I am one :eek:

My system is:
Antec 1200 case
Intel i5 750
MSI P55-GD65
ProlimaTech Mega Shadow heatsink (currently one 2000rpm fan in push, considering push/pull)
4GB G.Skill memory DDR3 1600
ATI 5970
Antec 750W powersupply

My bios/overclock settings are:
Vcore - 1.301
VTT - 1.303
Memory Ratio - 3
Adjusted Frequency - 1260MHz
Qpi Ratio - 16
Adjusted Frequency - 6720MHz
EIST - disabled
C1E - disabled
OC Genie - disabled (cool feature tho)
Load-Line Calibration - disabled
Spread Spectrum - disabled

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/3365/8hoursstable.png
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2172/8hoursstable2.png

I have included pics not to brag but to show my settings. The second pic shows my memory stuff in cpu-z. I ran prime95 for 8hours with max temps hitting 70C. In cpu-z it says my memory ratio is 2:6, is that too low? If I change my Memory Ratio in the bios to 4, my frequency goes up to 1680MHZ, can my DDR3 1600 perform at that speed?

Also, I tried a program called CoreTemp in addition to RealTemp. In coretemp, my multiplier kept jumping around, is this a bug? For example, during prime95, CoreTemp would show 4200MHz 210x20, then it would show 3990MHz 210x19 for a second or two and back to 20. When I stopped prime95, it would show 1890MHz 210x9 :confused: I couldn't find any settings in the bios that would cause throttling so is this just a glitch with the CoreTemp program? All of my other programs like CPUz, hwmonitor and system properties showed 4200MHz so I am definitely confused :bang head

What else should I do before I can call my system "stable" at 4.2GHz? I am happy with this speed but I may try to push it a little more just to see what it can do, but I would like to get a solid config that I can default back to. What can I realistically expect to achieve on air cooling with a little more voltage? I actually tried 220x20 just for grins and I was able to boot into windows, but prime95 crashed after a few seconds and I reverted back to 4.2. With more voltage could I achieve 4.4GHz or higher? Don't get me wrong, I am extremely happy with 4.2, but I like to see how far I can push it. Thanks again for all of your guys' help! :salute:

That looks really good to me, well done!

Temps are good, so give it 1.4vcore (official max) and see how high it'll go :D

Back