• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for crossfire 5870 but question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knoxy_14

Registered
ok heres my hardware list
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3
AMD 955 oced to 3.8 stable
4gb ram G skill timing 9-9-9-24
Rosewill 750W 80+ certified
saphire Vapor-x 5870 1gb

since my board is 16x 4x
would it be worth crossfire on the 4x
id have to get rid of my PhysX card but i can get a new motherboard sooner or later that will support it but i was wondering would i bottleneck or anything i don have any idea about bottlenecking

or would i be better off to sell my GPU and get a 5970?

thanks

its not worth to crossfire if you have 4x-16x mobo.
You would get severe bottle neck and very small increase in crossfire.

Get at least an 8x-8x or 16x-16x. youd get 50%-60% increase at least but varies widely among games.
With 4x-16x you would get a maximum of about 20% increase in crossfire.

ya i was affraid of that i plan on getting crosshair sometime for have 16x 16x

if you are set on 5870 crossfire, you'd either want to upgrade your mobo or just get a 5970. I take it you are using multiple monitors/higher resolution that would benefit from more than 1 5870?

im planning on it but yes i know i need to upgrade im thinking of getting a new 890 chipset do the dual 5870 outperform the 5970?

I wanted to go crossfire as well but ive got the same issue x16/x4 slots. Ive also got a physx card in my rig and for the time being, I am happy w/ the performance of my 5870/8800gt. A 5970 is a good idea but Ive seen a couple of people here say they have been having issues w/ their 5970's. Seems to be a driver thing. I'd take that into consideration and do some research to see if its a minor issue w/ that card or a big one.

Back