• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help on fixing a EVGA GTX 275

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomasgi

Hello folks, I moved out of the US and took my rig with me. On the way down here, one of my video cards got bumped against the case and some of the black paint from one of the little chips on the back of the cards got chipped off. I still have my other GTX 275 but I want SLI.... now before anyone says that I have warranty (since I do, just can't use it). Understand that I did not bring any of the original boxes with me do to the fear of paying taxes on things that where already mine. So my question is if anyone knows what paint I need to buy to reseal/insulate the chip or if I'm SOL.

By the way the problems I had was major overheating (giving me a BSOD) on that one chip anytime the computer started to render 3d images.

****I will post pictures if they will help****

Thanks

Please post pics, I can't imagine any "painted" area that would now cause issues.

Here's the pics. Hope they help.

Attachments

• 20100612_001.jpg
    20100612_001.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 458
  • 20100612_003.jpg
    20100612_003.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 451
  • 20100612_002.jpg
    20100612_002.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 465
Could have done some serious damage to it. I can't find anything when searching nvidia 275 c717. Maybe if you searched what was written on the chip itself you might be able to find a replacement?

Thats what I feared the most the sucky thing is that I just bought this card too. I have no clue what is written on the card, all I can make out is the bottom portion 99FOL E but if you google that nothing comes up. Well I sent the Manufacturer an email and we'll see what comes up. Thanks for trying, I'm open to any future suggestions.

Well if you can't get an RMA then your best bet WILL be to try and replace that single chip. If you can get hold of the actual chip then you should be fine, it's finding it that will probably be a bad itch.

Best of luck, do say what the manus say, quite interested now :D

C717 is not the name of the chip, if you want to know what it is you need the data sheet of the card, then you can look for it there, and it will tell you what it is, you can get a custom replacement

(this IF you find a datasheet :p)

just want to tell, these things tend to generally screw up really bad . . .

I didn't think it would be, still was worth a google :p

Things CAN go bad yes but if you take your time, make sure you use a tiny amount of solder and really generally be as careful as possible you still have a chance. If it's only a couple of bucks for the chip then it'll probably be worth a shot.

That's a bit more than paint that chipped off there. I'm unsure if they use some kind of ceramic or plastic, but it helps with heat dissipation.

You could try attaching a small heatsink using some good thermal tape to that area. That might help remove the extra heat that's accumulating.

Hmm that's a point actually. If it's only shutting down when you put load on it then it probably is just an overheating chip. Kinda didn't read the first post carefully :p

Mini HS does sound like a good idea. Some VRAM HS's are probably that kinda size.

I have done a few Rma's in my days and during none of them did I need the original packaging.

Most of the time, they send you a new, boxed card, you pull the card out and ship your back in the same packaging. Tell them of your predicament and the worst I can see happening is horribly high shipping prices. XD.

I haven't tried using any thermal paste but I'll give it a try. The manufacturer hasn't emailed me back (after 4 days):( ..

I've done a few RMAs too but hey always had me ship them the broken stuff THEN they would send me the new one. But I will see once they respond to my email.

thanks for the input guys

Well bad news, I took it a guy how fixes motherboards but he said he couldn't find a replacement chip for my card. Here in Argentina these cards are apparently hard to come by so there aren't even broken ones I can buy for parts :( Anyone know of any website that sells video card parts? I tried looking online but couldn't find any.

Here's the pics. Hope they help.
Looks like you broke a surface mount chip capacitor. C717 is a parts referance designator and not the actual part. I looked mine up and its marked with a value of 330. This should indicate the value of the cap. That would be 330 uf. uf = micro farads, the measure of capacitance. If you know how to solder or have a friend that does and has an ESD safe soldering iron or station you can replace the part. Check out www.digikey.com and you can order a new SMD cap there.

Hope this helps, there is hope and you can get the part.

Best regards,

Matthew
KC7EQO

C171 markings on chip are 330 937c the white band indicates polarity make sure its the on the same side when you replace it.

PS If you run across on where to find a set of spring loaded screws for the heat sink let me know. I need a set.

Back