• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SAS to SATA connector

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SATA and SAS ports on the hard drive are exactly the same connector and pinout. As Joeteck said, unless the controller accepts SAS drives, it will not work, regardless of the cable used.

So, going based on your first post, just use a SATA cable since your controller accepts it.

now i'm more confused than b4, lol

ok let me try again:

I have sas 15k 2.5 drive + mobo has Marvell SAS controller
would that cable work to connect my drive to the SAS controller ?

A SATA cable is the same as a SAS cable. Just use a SATA cable. .___.

but the connector on the sas drive is not the same as on the sata drive.

it is in one piece (sas + power).
That is odd, my SAS drives are similar, but I just plug it in like a normal SATA drive. In that case, yes, that cable would work. I assume you've tried to use normal SATA power and data cables?

The reason I ask is because all SAS/SATA connectors use a standard. I've never heard of any that are different.

Correction; SAS cable... This backward compatible however.... the reason for the higher cost..

You want SAS, you're gonna have to pay!
I paid 40 a drive for mine (15k rpm, 30gb). My RAID cards and server backplane already supported SAS. :cool:

Correction; SAS cable... This is backward compatible to SATA.... the reason for the higher cost..

You want SAS, you're gonna have to pay!

Or just modify the connector to fit like any non newb does. Buying a cable instead of trimming what you have is just silly.

newbs :)

Back