• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could New XP Slipstream Be Cause Of It

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I'm seriously baffled at whats currently going on with my fresh install of XP Pro my 160GB HDD just died and so I bought a new Seagate 500GB drive fitted it installed XP. About a week ago before the 160GB died I created a new slipstream disc of my XP Pro, I decided to use my last slipstream disc as the main files and add just a small amount of updates I needed about 20 from MS.

I tweaked a few things I removed MSN Explorer, Blaster Worm thing, Security Center, Tour, Search Dog & thats about it. Now I installed XP added my legit key and went to activate it and it says it's not legit need to call them last time I did a fresh install was 9 months ago. Since that time I have upgraded my CPU from a Phenom 9550 to the 945 and updated my G.card from a 8600GT to a 9600GT.

I thought it was all tide to the motherboard your XP Install????? I am baffled.

Even voice over the phone says its not legitimate when it is wont even send me to rep to talk too?

Did you try to activate and get that code and have to type it in? Then they usually spit another number back to you.

In the activation box, look for the option to type in a new installation key, and re-type the key you have. Then try activation again, ive seen this work a couple times.....

Do the call-in activation. If the robot fails you, it should (last time I had to do so was over a year ago) automatically send you to a real person - who will ask you to repeat everything, because Microsoft's system is retarded and can't copy that information you keyed in to the robot onto the support tech's screen - and they will confirm that you've only installed on one system, and then give you the key to activate.

Well I tried again just now after I got in from work, it still says it cannot activate my product and that I may be a customer with a prirated copy but it isnt I bought from a legit store £76.

I then wait to see if it will pass me over to a rep as I have done this before in the past it says press * key to repeat message but I dont and it ends my call.

I dont know what else I can do to get it activated???

Just installed all the activation add on and it passed but fails to activate and says I need to pay £95 for a new key I am not paying again for something that is legit and only activated 3 out of the 3 times. My copy I bought 7 years ago from the company I worked for as I was in a despatch company selling tills and computers for shops and loads of other stuff we would send copies of Windows 2000 but XP Pro came one day so I asked to buy it for £110.

It had a 1-3 license on it and I have built new PCs and they have all worked on it as my last two I dismantled and sold the parts yet I cannot understand with my 160GB it activated yet with my 500GB is wont????

Last edited:
Every time the the automated system asks a question, say "transfer me". It will eventally transfer you to a human after it doesnt get the correct response its looking for.

Every time the the automated system asks a question, say "transfer me". It will eventally transfer you to a human after it doesnt get the correct response its looking for.

It dosn't even offer to transfer me that whats I'm getting at, you input the generated key XP gives you and then it says please wait. Then says fails to activate product and mentions the website and ends the call I understand what you are on about because in the past you would say "Transfer" and it would pass you to a rep.

So just call a rep.

I have sent an e-mail to customer support but it will take 2 days to get a reply how would I get in touch with a rep I haven't got a phone number plus I dobt they would help me since most of MS' departments have there own numbers

Dont you have the option when calling the number they give you to talk to a person?? I recall there being one...

It dosn't even offer to transfer me that whats I'm getting at, you input the generated key XP gives you and then it says please wait. Then says fails to activate product and mentions the website and ends the call I understand what you are on about because in the past you would say "Transfer" and it would pass you to a rep.

Stop inputting the key. polarys425 already told you that. When the robot asks you for the first six digits, say anything but the digits. Eventually, when it doesn't understand you, it'll transfer you to a human.

Back