• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel's Turbo Boost Technology

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zomfgcrazy

Registered
I have an i5-750, which has its manually set cpu multiplier maxed at 20... but with turbo boost it can go up to 24 (as far as i've seen on my computer).

Unfortunately, it appears to hit 24 when idle and drop down to 21 when under load (upon boot it's at x24, when I start OCCT it drops to 21).

Is there any way to keep it up at x24? I'd rather push my multi up than my bclock.

Thanks!

Edit: With some more testing it appears that C-States /must/ be enabled to go above x21.
Furthermore, going between x21 and x24 is /not/ ideal, as that means I'll either need to drop below ideal at load or boot into a BSOD. >.>
I'm also not sure how I feel about not being able to stress test my highest multipliers, as stress testing causes them to go away. >.<
Though I suppose that means they don't really need to be tested since they go away when big bad monsters arrive..

Last edited:
I can't pull up Intel's site right now for some reason, but I think the Turbo/C-States work like this, which depends on how many cores are being used:

1 core = x24
2 cores = x23
3 cores = x22
4 cores = x21

So, if you can disable 3 cores you might be able get x24 to stick, but then you'll just have a single core CPU...so kinda pointless in most situations.

I just run with Turbo and C-States disabled, so I'm not sure exactly how they work.

pretty sure turbo modes only work on core1.. course that might be on the x58 series.. from what I remember if i enable turbo it only notches core0 up to +1 on multi and the other 3 stay at whatever is set in bios.

The great thing about i5 750...is that it runs Turbo Mode with 2 cores....other cpus with Turbo feature could only able to do with only 1 core at its highest tier.

To lock it at 24x.....you must disable 2 or 3 cores.
You can disable ALL power saving features...except Turbo Boost.

Basically, that would you give you something like this...that's over 80% overclocked on air!
25zh2x3.jpg

Last edited:
To lock it at 24x.....you must disable 2 or 3 cores.
You can disable ALL power saving features...except Turbo Boost.

Basically, that would you give you something like this...
25zh2x3.jpg

I figured that would do it, I just hadn't tried it. You even showed on of the few exceptions where disabling cores wouldn't matter :thup:

Think of it this way, you surely don't need to keep C2D anymore since a quad could do this...on higher bandwidth DDR3. If there's a need for it....like some gamers would preferred 2 cores. (I think...I'm not a gamer...so wouldn't be too sure) :)
Not only that, it's a great feature for benchers as well.

Why wouldn't disabling cores matter?

He ran a single threaded bench, so more cores wouldn't help him.

Multi-threaded apps benefit from more cores, single-threaded apps do not. So, it depends on what apps you use.

Well, most games don't use 4 cores, so disabling 1-2 cores wouldn't effect performance much, except in games that are specifically multi-threaded. And, general day-to-day computing can be done on 1-2 cores easily.

the thing about the turbo, is that if an app is a single threaded app it will only access 1 core, if it is a multi threaded app it will access whatever is there or whatever it had the capability. So, I would leave the multi high and let it do its thing for day to day use.

I think I've got it.
If the CPU is already operating at its max speed, say a Core i5 750 running 4 cores at 2.66GHz each, If the CPU temperature, voltage levels etc are all within "safe operating limits" the Turbo Boost will kick in and automatically overclock the CPU to deliver more power, 4 cores running at, lets say 2.9GHz on all 4 cores? (probably not right, just picking figures to work with)

Also how does this technology compare with the older machines, like DOS old, where some towers had an inbuilt turbo button into the chassis? (i know only 1 core, 1 thread, but did that also automatically overclock the CPU)

Back