• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rad Suggestion Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burnt_Ram

hi, i think i want to add another rad or replace the one i have now. i'm running this cpu at almost 1.7v to get 3.6 and with ambient @ 28-30c i can hit 70-72c. i would like to see a high of 60ish. any suggestions ...

What is your current radiator?
Do you know how much wattage your CPU is putting out?
Is the CPU the only component being cooled in the loop?
What are your noise preferences?

Need more info before suggestions can be made...

What is your current radiator?
Do you know how much wattage your CPU is putting out?
Is the CPU the only component being cooled in the loop?
What are your noise preferences?

Need more info before suggestions can be made...

the rad is a swiftech MCR220, sorry i should have mentioned that! the cpu is th only thing in the loop currently, and i have no idea what the cpu wattage is ... i would like to keep it as quiet as possible. if i turn my fan speed down on my cards it's a very quiet system.

1.7v to get 3.6 on a G0? Something doesnt sound right there....regardless, those temps are fine, I would be much more concerned about the voltage.

1.7v to get 3.6 on a G0? Something doesnt sound right there....regardless, those temps are fine, I would be much more concerned about the voltage.

I secondzies that point :thup:

less v core more northbridge or something :shrug:

ive had two in many boards and been able to get 3.8 to 4 without going over 1.6v in bios.

sounds more forced than happy clocking anyhow :)

ya, this chip will do 3.4 @ 1.5v but will not stabilize @ 3.6 until i use 1.7v :(

i dont expect this chip to last long @ 1.7v ;) but i need atleast 3.6 for Bad Company 2, at 3.4 its still laggy ...

I secondzies that point :thup:

less v core more northbridge or something :shrug:

ive had two in many boards and been able to get 3.8 to 4 without going over 1.6v in bios.

sounds more forced than happy clocking anyhow :)

ive tried upping all voltages, the only way it wil be stable @ 3.6 is @ 1.7v unfortunately! i WISH i could lower the voltage ... whats a safe votage for the NB? i think im already over 1.5

according to P95 at idle my voltage is 1.696, and using small FFT's test it droops to 1.632-1.640

not sure what the bios setting is, but im sure its just under 1.7v.

Have you tried it at 400x9? 450x8 could be pushing the FSB limits of the motherboard.

I have a Q6600 G0 with a high VID of 1.3125v that needs 1.48v to get to 3.6GHz

ive tried upping all voltages, the only way it wil be stable @ 3.6 is @ 1.7v unfortunately! i WISH i could lower the voltage ... whats a safe votage for the NB? i think im already over 1.5
None of those are safe voltages for that CPU and chipset NB on passive air (NB). I would only run 1.5v through the NB if it had a fan on it. I bet the NB heatsink is hot to touch....

Personally, if I was you, I would back off to 3.4 or 3.2Ghz or something before you start taking out parts. :chair:

Have you tried it at 400x9? 450x8 could be pushing the FSB limits of the motherboard.

I have a Q6600 G0 with a high VID of 1.3125v that needs 1.48v to get to 3.6GHz

my vid is 1.325 :( when i originally got this board i could'nt even get to 3 ghz with the 9x multi, but had no issue using 8x multi?

None of those are safe voltages for that CPU and chipset NB on passive air (NB). I would only run 1.5v through the NB if it had a fan on it. I bet the NB heatsink is hot to touch....

Personally, if I was you, I would back off to 3.4 or 3.2Ghz or something before you start taking out parts. :chair:

my NB does have a fan.

i looked in the bios and i was wrong the bios setting is, get ready. 1.73750 :screwy: 1.696 in windows.

other voltages:

SPP 1.45
MCP 1.525
HT Nforce SPP-MCP 1.35

wonder how long this chip will last @ 1.7v :shrug:

I'm surprised it's lasted this long. I still have a QX9650 that was degraded after about 2 weeks on 1.6v. I wasn't me that done it though.

Back