• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hows my 5850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yeah i want to oc it but i think my dual core is bottleneckin my system so i dont know how much a gpu oc will help might just wait untill i get a new quad which should be soon.
btw what do you use to oc your card?

yeah i want to oc it but i think my dual core is bottleneckin my system so i dont know how much a gpu oc will help might just wait untill i get a new quad which should be soon.
btw what do you use to oc your card?

Your dual is at 4ghz. It shouldn't be bottlenecking very much if any. Guys run their core2dou's around that speed and don't bottleneck and IIRC, the Phenom II > Core2Duo.

this is my last result, i think it was 10.4 Mild OC on the 5870, maybe it will help compare a bit. New 10.6 drivers
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=14100254

EDIT: Tried w/ 10.6, new result posted

Nice results! That's a pretty serious bump!

Prune you can compare your scores with like systems at the ORB. With that said still looks good.

LOL @ PhII > C2D. Read some reviews, Wolfdales are still clock for clock a bit faster than PHII x2 (I dont want to start anything just wanted to correct that horse hooey :)).

Prune you can compare your scores with like systems at the ORB. With that said still looks good.

LOL @ PhII > C2D. Read some reviews, Wolfdales are still clock for clock a bit faster than PHII x2 (I dont want to start anything just wanted to correct that horse hooey :)).

That's what teh IIRC was for. I wasn't quite sure, but either way 4.0ghz is probably overkill even on Amd.

ok i feel good then lol
thanks for the input fellas,
now besides CCC which doesnt give me room to oc this card what other things are there for oc'n gpu's?

MSI Afterburner all the way! Has voltage control (if your card allows it) and no limits. Can set 5 profiles as well.

Also, to give you an idea. With mine overclocked at 981/1176, with i5 @ 4ghz, I hit about 24k in 3dmark06. If you get outta the Core2/PII cpu's and go with CoreI, youll see a pretty big change. I didnt see a ton going from E8400 to Q9550, but when I went to I5, I saw a huge improvement in framerates while gaming.

MSI Afterburner all the way! Has voltage control (if your card allows it) and no limits. Can set 5 profiles as well.

Also, to give you an idea. With mine overclocked at 981/1176, with i5 @ 4ghz, I hit about 24k in 3dmark06. If you get outta the Core2/PII cpu's and go with CoreI, youll see a pretty big change. I didnt see a ton going from E8400 to Q9550, but when I went to I5, I saw a huge improvement in framerates while gaming.

well my next upgrade probably will be pII six core so :p
downloading after burner now

It's kind of "outdated" by some of the new standards, but rivatuner is another option and I always used Evga Precision, but that might be Nvidia specific.

use MSI afterburner. I believe it was developed by the Rivatuner guys so the UI is similar. Also the profiles are great, you can set different fan speeds for different temperatures and clock speeds, and everythign automatically adjusts when u switch from 2d/3d.

got msi after burning seems my voltage is locked =[
o well il do what i can stock v
any tips. iv never oc a gpu before

With Nvidia it takesa bit longer, but what you should do is overclock the settings individually to find their maxes. Try those together (with a stress test/benchmark) and if they fail, slowly nudge down.

Prune, I believe you are right (do you have a reference card)? But, double check that you chose the voltage control option in the settings.

look around you have to make a change in the text file in the program files and you can change the voltage. let me see if I can find it.

I was wrong. Can he flash his card?

Last edited:
Back