• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Black Screen of Death??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
Specs:
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate (did a bunch of SSD tweaks)
OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD
2x2GB DDR2 Dual Channel
Unlocked (quad) FX 5000+ (X2 chip) running 2.75ghz
2x 2TB WD Greens in Raid-1

I went to the Yankee game last night and yes they got rocked... had a few drinks, took the train home, and wanted to watch the rest of The Bourne Identity with my fiance since she doesn't remember seeing it.

I watch with my WD HD Live Player that networks to my HTPC/file-server. I had a network issue and remember logging into it... but I don't remember everything (thanks to the beers).

Anyhow, my buddy was supposed to grab files off of my FTP b/c he's designing our monogram for our wedding, and he couldn't log into my FTP... I could ping my machine locally on my network but couldn't log in through RDP or Logmein.

READ FROM HERE IF YOU DON'T CARE FOR MY BUILD UP OF THE STORY ABOVE. :)
I went to the machine and lo and behold...
THE SCREEN IS BLACK WITH JUST A MOUSE POINTER
The mouse would move, but that's it. CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't work and neither did CTRL+ALT+ESC (shortcut to task mgr for those that don't know - very useful tool if it worked)

I force restarted with the RESET button. When windows starts I can see the Windows loading screen, but it ALWAYS ends up with the black screen and mouse pointer in the same fashion described above.

I don't have system restore b/c I'm running an OCZ SSD (30GB) and I did a bunch of tweaks to it. I ran chkdsk /r and nothing bad was found. I'm @ a loss here. I'm going to keep messing with it, and figured I'd get some opinions which might save me some headache.

Right now I unplugged the 2x 2TB drives b/c when I ran the Win7 recovery disc it was detecting the 2TB drives as a C: partition and the OS as an E: partition... you would think the W7 disc was smart enough to know what has Windows OS files or not...

TIA.
g0dM@n

I wonder if this has anything to do with not activating it... but it hasn't been 30 days yet...

ctrl+shift+esc is the shortcut

and the chkdsk /r command does not check for any file past the windows loading screen there for it seems the OS it self is damaged, id take your HDD's and back them up with a 2nd machine then do a complete reformat

I have had this problem before.

Steps to resolution:

1. Unplug any USB and/or eSATA device
2. DISABLE the Micron controller (if you have one)
3. Video driver compatibility issue (doubt it) - try vga mode
4. Remove Matrix storage drivers and use RST

ctrl+shift+esc is the shortcut

and the chkdsk /r command does not check for any file past the windows loading screen there for it seems the OS it self is damaged, id take your HDD's and back them up with a 2nd machine then do a complete reformat
Sorry I typed it wrong... I did use that. I use it ALL the time, but just typed it wrong - thx though. Format is my last option.
I have had this problem before.

Steps to resolution:

1. Unplug any USB and/or eSATA device
2. DISABLE the Micron controller (if you have one)
3. Video driver compatibility issue (doubt it) - try vga mode
4. Remove Matrix storage drivers and use RST
I didn't try #1 or #2. There is no option for #3. Funny it only gives me options for safe mode, safe mode w/networking, and to start normally... I could swear I tried F8 also, but I'll try it again b/c maybe F8 didn't register and Windows automatically brings me to a shorter menu upon realizing it failed its last load??

#4 - it's an AMD board (SB750 chipset), and I am pretty sure I didn't install ANY RAID drivers. I let W7 take care of it as some ppl have said if you're on Win7 to let Win7 install its own drivers.
Also, what's RST?
Try safe mode yet?
Yes, it still does the exact same thing.
Just let it sit there. It will load eventually. I've had this bug in Vista too... usually it'll resolves itsself.
I could swear I let it sit for a while... I guess I'll try again and let it sit. How long do you think, an hour or more?

I didn't try #1 or #2. Funny it only gives me options for safe mode, safe mode w/networking, and to start normally... I could swear I tried F8 also

I would def unplug all eSATA/USB devices and load.

Also, what's RST?

Didnt realize you were using an AMD chipset, so you can ignore the Matrix reference. RST is Intels new branded "Matrix" drivers, "rapid storage technology". I had an issue with my SSDs CONSTANLY being removed from the RAID set with v8.9 of Matrix. Upgraded to RST drivers in beta about 6-8 months ago and my drives have yet to "lose" themselves in RAID.

I would bet your problem is related to a USB/eSATA device. Try barebones'ing your BIOS also.

You can always try "last known good config"(LKGC).

EDIT

I will mention a rather odd experience I had with a friends inspiron laptop. When the OS would load it would hang at the welcome screen when you entered a password. It would take some 20 minutes before you actually got a GUI. However, if you hit CTL + ALT + DEL during the logon process you instantly were logged into the OS. I managed to find the problem being a rogue wireless driver replaced by Dell, ended up being an urgent update. Not sure it could help your problem, but figured I would mention as it tormented me for about an hour. :D

Back