• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus UL50 laptop- did R&D forget something?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
I just got a brand new (well refurbished) plus bing plus paypal plus an old $50 coupon, getting me a very nice Asus UL50 laptop for a bit over $400 shipped. (well, after Bing pays up, they have that dumb 60 days hold)

I did run into minor issues when I was setting up Windows 7 for the first time. If I let the laptop idle while it's processing, it goes to sleep! :screwy: It would not wake unless I used power button, in which I got to restart part of the set up process. :bang head This included updates to Windows 7 after the initial setup was done, which meant more restarting the setup from the beginning.

Hello ASUS??? How about setting power saving mode to never sleep or hibernate while on AC power during the initial Windows setup??? Not everyone wants to sit by the laptop and touch the pad every few minutes to keep it awake.

Ok I got the power management changed a bit so it wouldn't be so sleepy while on AC power. Windows 7 updates were also changed to download but not install unless I say so, so I won't have to worry about battery going out in the middle of the set up.

Anyway, end of rant. I got the UL series because they claimed 12 hours battery life. Some reviewers were able to get over 10 hours easy. With DVD playback and wireless turned off, I get about 4-5 hours. I doubt there is a 15" portable DVD player with that kind of battery life that weights less than a sack of sugar. :D Plays video just fine, no problem with flash video so far either.

PS for some reason when I was shopping for the best price, UL30 which has smaller LCD and no DVD drive actually costs more :confused: It's maybe half a pound lighter and you'd need Windows and most programs on USB rather than on CD or DVD if you needed to install or reinstall.

Er, that's odd... sounds like Asus might wanna look at their copy of Windows and tweak it a bit...

Look at your advanced power settings and see if you can't squeeze a bit more battery life out of it. 5 hours isn't bad at all, though if they say 12, you might be able to get more out of it.

turning off 802.11 and turning down brightness will increase battery life. also less use of the HD such as reading an ebook would help my laptop's battery.

Back