• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Curious about RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

karossii

Registered
Hey all!

I'm curious; I have a PNY GeForce9800GT XLR8 Performance Edition with 1GB GDDR3 RAM... most of the newer cards I see on the market today have 768MB or lower. I know some of these HAVE to be outperforming my card, but I find it hard to downgrade to less graphics memory like that, even if the overall effect is an upgrade.

So why is it that RAM, which is still getting cheaper every day, is getting scarcer on video cards?

As a second question, would it be better to add a second (and maybe third) 9800 for roughly $90 each, or to get a single new card for my system? Since answers to this will vary based on my setup and usage, here it is;

I run Win7 Ultimate 64bit. I play games that are generally a few months if not a year or more old; though at times I like to jump on the bandwagon and grab a brand new title... so having the horsepower to run just about anything would be nice. I also do some video editing, and a ton of photoshop work.

I run a 28" monitor at 1920x1200, and prefer all my games run at that resolution if possible. I have a second monitor which is a 19" at 1600x1200, but it stays turned off the majority of the time. I have an AMD 9500 Phenom Black edition (quad core at 2.2 Ghz) and 4GB of RAM. I don't think its relevant, but I have 4 sata hard drives; three at 1TB and one at 600GB. Mostly used as storage for my DVD collection, which I watch on the PC exclusively (no TV, no cable, etc.).

Thanks for any input you have!

I don't know what cards you are looking @ ?
The only card that is a upgrade for you that has less ram is the 260gtx ( and it would still beat your card )
IF you want a upgrade look @ imo no less then a 5850 / 470 or just use what you have and save till you can .

The bigger your monitor, and the higher your resolution, the more graphics memory you need. Also everytime I read a post about lower power SLI vs more powerful single card, the single card always gets the win.

Back