• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Harebrained Scheme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

m0r7if3r

Member, Water Cooling Sticky Reading Enforcement O
Ok, I realize this idea will probably die before it makes it to fruition, but I had the idea tonight to use a bawls bottle (the glass ones) as a res in my future WC loop. I was wondering if anyone had seen this done before. A google search reveals I am not the first to have this idea, but my research didn't yeild any pictures of anyone who had actually managed to pull it off. The way I see it, there are 2 way to go about this, 1)I drill holes in the bottle and then use some sort of silicone to seal the tubes in or 2) I heat the glass and screw in a barb, then pretend like its a normal res. Option 2, for me at least, seems more attractive because it would give a more finished look. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience working with glass or any pointers I could get to start getting this ironed out (this will probably be the single most difficult part of the build IF I even figure out how to do it. All input is appreciated.

bawls.jpg

bawls bottle in question

Fantastic, without stealing your thunder, do you think its plausible with a bawls bottle or not (or should i just keep an eye open for the results?) On the note of the results, where do you plan on posting them?

I am currently uploading my photos and summary of the project on the link that Higdon posted, expect to be able to read it within 20 minutes or so.

A Bawls bottle should work well, just fill it with water and shake it... if you can see the bubbles that form inside the bottle you should be fine. It's important to be able to see the air that may form in a res. I'll post my drilling and mounting process as well, it turned out great. I would use epoxy over silicon though, I'll explain in my summary.

Back