• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5850 power triple 24" ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nunez1980

Guys,

got the three 24" monitors now need a card for eyefinity, don't want to go over budget so thinking about getting 5850, can this handle these display with medium setting on most newer games? thanks

Sam

id get the toxic 2gb or get a 5870 2gb

yeah thats what it seems the case, but when I see this I get some hope, medium settings

pretty much what I would be running, so I need the card and the displayport adapter...

wanted to keep it around 300.

thx for the info though

Sam

Well from what I hear, the display port adapters are a pretty penny. You might be able to get a used 5850 and a display port adapter for around $300 if you're stingy and find the right deal. On to your actual question, you could pretty easily run those three monitors.

ChanceCoats123,

I was able to find a displayport to vga for 25 at newegg, so that should take care of that.

knoxy_14,

thats a good card, but just saw a review of that card and the 2gb doesn't do much at 1920x1080 triple display, actually it was a tap slower than a 1gb 5850

so it looks like I'm going with 5870 1gb and the displayport adapter, so looks like around 400, going with 500 for the 5870 2gb 6 port doesn't seem to be justifiable for me right now.

also take note I have 4870x2, that can run pretty much anthing but lacks the eyefinity and thats a true bummer, well thats life, thanx for the comments

Sam

Going with 3 24" I wouldn't go with anything less than a 5870. Owning a 24" you need power, not just driving 1 screen but 3 at said resolution you need as much as you can get.

Depending on the game and settings 1Gig might hold over time, then again 2Gig be ideal for the frame buffer on the screen expecially displaying at 5760x1200 that is a lot of info being processed and passed around. Then again when the ram fills on the ATI GPU's it doesn't have nearly as much bottleneck as an nVidia card which can come with a siginifcant drop in performance.

Im curious death, why would performance drop more with Nvidia cards running out of memory? Dont they both page out to the ram/hdd?

Im curious death, why would performance drop more with Nvidia cards running out of memory? Dont they both page out to the ram/hdd?

I don't know its just been personal experiance. Maybe its changed in the Firmi's though once ram filled on the nVidia card I'd get a 25%-40%+ drop in perfromance and ATI cards I'd see little drop maybe a few percent.

This is going all the way back to ATI's 1k cards. nVidia's well first one I noticed it on was the 8800GT. I haven't been able to test it again when I switched OS's off XP til recently where I do have capabilities to read if the memory is filling up, just go to find time to actually do some tests again.

Might of been just the way the coding was or maybe a hardware limitation. Saying hey if you got one with more memory you wouldn't have this issue. I have may posts talking about it though not sure I ever wrote any official topic on it over the years.

Ive had both, and never experienced a difference across any os or gen of cards. Its just SLOW. :p

+1, Would be interesting to see data on this if you have it.

To the Op, a 5870 is a great choice. One other thing though, aren't vga limited on the resolution? Maybe that was a while ago...

To the Op, a 5870 is a great choice. One other thing though, aren't vga limited on the resolution? Maybe that was a while ago...

vga should be fine for 1080p, but when I was running 1600p dvi is required,

also settle for 5870 2gb after seen this review

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=889&type=expert&pid=12

batman-5760-bar.jpg

thx

sam

Ive had both, and never experienced a difference across any os or gen of cards. Its just SLOW. :p

Wasn't an OS per say, just in XP I could see the GPU memory being in use, once I switched to Vista that option was out for me because no programs could read the GPU memory the same. Only til a few months ago when GPU-z came out with a memory watcher.

I have zip for data on this anymore. Unless its hiddin on the forums, it was lost pre-vista release via a HDD Raid5 and Raid0 crash with XP which is when I made a major switch over to Vista at the time. Lossing over a few hundred gig worth of data. Its just from what I remember back then, which seemed odd when it was happening but I really noticed it with my move from oh a 2900XT to a 8800GT (both 512megs) where the GT was definatly lacking in a few games where my 2900XT was more than enough to handle it. That was the kicker and I know the memory was way beyond filled.

Think it was with Oblivion when I first noticed it. Was fine with good memory allowance on each card, then when it eventually filled the ATI card preformed worlds better than the nVidia.

Sorry for taking it off subject on it, but there are reasons to why a 2Gig card with that many monitors would prove useful over a 1Gig card. As seen in the post above and that is a major reason.

ChanceCoats123.

yeah good thing I look at that review, by the way just got it, so after gym I'm testing it out, can't wait :)

sam

Benchies benchies benchies! Good luck with the oc'ing. ;)

thx will have a blast with that :)

but little time, just finish hooking it up, though my 4870x2 was big, this 5870 is a beast hehe

well so far so good, tried a couple games and they run smooth like butter, but need time to adjust, at first was getting dizzy, but gaming with the triple 24" is way more fun than the single 30" they are replacing.

night.

oh and the SAPPHIRE Active DisplayPort work nicely and at $24.99 no complains there too :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=active_display_port-_-15-310-003-_-Product

sam

Back