• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This is so old, can no one help? 56k Modem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

couch potato

Registered
can't seem to find any answers.

I went to my dads house to change his security program from Mcafee to Kasparsky. My dad uses dial-up and AOL. No he wont get broadband. I HATE DIAL-UP.

So I wipe Mcafee properly with their cleaning tool, and install Kaspersky.
No problem.
Then I try to sigh into AOL and his PC freezes.
A few tests later, nothing.
So I bring his PC to my house, do the complete update of kaspersky with high speed.
I can sign into AOL using my broadband but still not dial-up.
His modem does not show up in the phone and modem options in the control panel.
So I swap out the modem to a spare that I have.
this one shows up, but still when it tries to dial I hear the modem sounds for a second and then the PC freezes.
I also tried a usb modem, no go.
I installed Kasparsky and AOL, reinstalled them in different orders. I tried without Kasparsky installed and with the firewall disabled, but no.
Again everything works fine on broadband but every time I try to use any modem the PC freezes
HELP
Thanks in advance

Did you try different pci slots for the swapping out of k-modems? I dunno just taking a stab here. I haven't seen a 56k modem in years much less worked with one.

If youve tried multiple modems, and none are working, try what Neb said and change PCI slots. Also, try removing ALL of the modem drivers and reinstalling it. It used to work.

If none of that works and the modem install properly but still freezes, Id look into checking for a virus possibly. Either that or the OS is botched somewhere, and I wouldnt honestly know where to look (unless its the actual AOL program, but you said you reinstalled, did you maybe try and get a free dial up provider to see if it IS aol causing the issue?)

If youve tried multiple modems, and none are working, try what Neb said and change PCI slots. Also, try removing ALL of the modem drivers and reinstalling it. It used to work.

If none of that works and the modem install properly but still freezes, Id look into checking for a virus possibly. Either that or the OS is botched somewhere, and I wouldnt honestly know where to look (unless its the actual AOL program, but you said you reinstalled, did you maybe try and get a free dial up provider to see if it IS aol causing the issue?)

I also tried hyper-termanal, any time the modem starts to dial the PC freezes.
Even using a fax program.

Anything else in the PCI slots? Perhaps another device is flaking out and causing your problems

I would try going into Safe-Mode and uninstalling the drivers to the modem as doz mentioned. Then try reinstalling the 2nd modem you tried with new drivers.

a sound card and a gpu.
I could take out the sound card and try that( I have to wait till I get home from work). I can't do that with the gpu. No on board vid.

EDIT( I will try safe mode too)

Don't laugh.
Dell dimension 8250
1gb ram 256 x 4 sticks
p4 3.06ghz
Geforce 7800 agp
Upgradded 450w ps
New smart link 56k modem
win xp service pack 3

Not too bad of a relic. The problem here is the fact your dad still uses (ugh) dial-up :eek:

Try to convince him of at least DSL.

If I can afford it I my just have to get it for him.

If it helps in convincing him, he can still use AOL for free on broadband (they don't really advertise the option, but it does exist if you look for it), and a low-end DSL connection will probably cost about the same as his AOL dial-up subscription.

If it helps in convincing him, he can still use AOL for free on broadband (they don't really advertise the option, but it does exist if you look for it), and a low-end DSL connection will probably cost about the same as his AOL dial-up subscription.
He pays $9.99 for AOL. I think that is a senior rate.

I just did a sys restore and it still froze but I did get a Blue screen message
Finally a clue

" Hardware Malfunction
Call vendor for support
NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error
The System Has Halted"

I just tried 1 run with no errors.
I am checking to see if uninstalling "Microsoft TCP/IP version 6" network protocol helps as it conflicts with Dial-up networking under Win-XP.
But that did not work.
I will run memtest for a few hours later after I try something. LOL I'm not sure what to try but I am going to try something.

Last edited:
wow, this is a retro :p

those dial-up modems need to appropriate a COM port to function.

so, basically, look in properties (device manager) what COM port is uses. if it shares COM port with serial port it won't work too well. as in freeze a lot or won't show up.

you can setup COM port number for serial port in BIOS, most of the time.

keep in mind, COM1 and COM3 are the same port and also COM2 and COM4 are the same port. so, you'd be wanting to set COM port for serial port to, say, COM1 and then the modem to COM2.

if a serial port is not in use, just disable the sukka.

Back