• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

550 watt PSU for Phenom II 965

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

psych

Registered
Would a Corsair VX 550 watt supply be enough for Phenom II 965 and a 9800 gtx?

Asuuming that youre not over clocking, 2 sticks of DDR3, only have one hard drive and one optical drive and a couple fans... ya, you should be OK.

But 550W doesnt give you much room for future upgrades and PSU's are so cheap now....

Asuuming that youre not over clocking, 2 sticks of DDR3, only have one hard drive and one optical drive and a couple fans... ya, you should be OK.

But 550W doesnt give you much room for future upgrades and PSU's are so cheap now....

Not much of an assessment. I have a BFG 550, running an overclocked Q9400, BFG gtx 250, 5 HD's, 8gb or ram, DVD, and 4 120mm fans. Runs like a champ. Your biggest draw will be the video card. You could probably run on a good 400 watt.

Look for quality in the PSU. I like Antec, although my other one is going in for RMA.

I'm certain the 550w is plenty but for $10 I'd probably move up to the 650tx if the budget permits

Corsair 550VX will be plenty WITH overclocking. Now, you wont be able to SLI or anything, but. Its certainly plenty with a few HDD's and Opticals, fans etc. :)

Not much of an assessment. I have a BFG 550, running an overclocked Q9400, BFG gtx 250, 5 HD's, 8gb or ram, DVD, and 4 120mm fans. Runs like a champ. Your biggest draw will be the video card. You could probably run on a good 400 watt.

Look for quality in the PSU. I like Antec, although my other one is going in for RMA.

You must have missed the part where the OP said a CORSAIR VX 550.. You can't get much higher quality than a Corsair PSU these days.
That PSU will be more than enough to handle the 965 and a 9800 GTX, and like someone suggested, if the budget permits an extra $10 or so, moving up to the 650TX would help provide additional power for a second graphics card later on. :thup:

thx everybody!:) but I think i will be going with the VX 550 because i live in Norway and PSU arent that cheap, and I have bought it from a friend!

Back