• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best card for my lcd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tinbolas

I've been browsnig this forums for quite some time and ive found some great info here, ive learned quite a bit too.
Anyway i dont know too much about computers but i started building one with a friend, so far we have everything but the video card, we used a core i7 950, x58 chipset, 6gb ram, 875W psu... The thing is that im planning on using 2 different screens, one is a 20" monitor and the other one is a samsung 40" lcd tv (1080p). Im not worried about the monitor, but im worried about the lcd because i want a video card that will be able to fill the whole screen.
The specifications of the tv are these:
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...F2FXZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=spec

I was reading on someone that bought a 5970 for his samsung 65" lcd and it didnt fill the whole screen, he ended up buying a gtx 480 which did work for him... So i was wondering if anyone here could help me out choosing a card that can do what i need

Thanks in advance

The only problem I've had with HDTV's is the annoying HDMI versions. You have to buy the proper HDMI cable (just any isn't going to work) with the exact version that the TV uses.

Other than that, I'm not sure how the video card hardware itself would cause a problem like 'not filling the whole screen'... it sounds like an improper configuration within the drivers or TV's settings. Most likely the TV settings, since you can configure which aspect ratio to use and many HDTV's don't automatically change this ratio to fill the whole screen so you get borders on the sides until it's manually changed. Haven't heard of this problem ever being caused by the video card itself, so it's probably user error.

I've been browsnig this forums for quite some time and ive found some great info here, ive learned quite a bit too.
Anyway i dont know too much about computers but i started building one with a friend, so far we have everything but the video card, we used a core i7 950, x58 chipset, 6gb ram, 875W psu... The thing is that im planning on using 2 different screens, one is a 20" monitor and the other one is a samsung 40" lcd tv (1080p). Im not worried about the monitor, but im worried about the lcd because i want a video card that will be able to fill the whole screen.
The specifications of the tv are these:
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...F2FXZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=spec

I was reading on someone that bought a 5970 for his samsung 65" lcd and it didnt fill the whole screen, he ended up buying a gtx 480 which did work for him... So i was wondering if anyone here could help me out choosing a card that can do what i need

Thanks in advance
specs really dont mean much but the one you should only look at is the resolution. i have had my pc hooked up to both TV LG LED and sammy 19in 16:10 screen. getting things to fill properly on either screen comes down to the right res and settings on the screens. since at 1080P on the TV doesnt fill correctly with just a res change from windows, i do have to go into the TV menu to change things up a bit to fill. nothing really to worry about but it will take a small amount of tinkering to get things figured out. for me i used a DVI -> HDMI cable for the TV hook up.

Back