• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Themperature probe & fan controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

r.seba

Hi,

Would this two work together: in-line probe and controller.

I would like to install this two or something similar for the temperature monitoring in my WC loop and to have control over my sanyo denki fans at the same time.

Any suggestions welcome

Hi and welcome to the forums.

The water cooling loop temperature probe will not control the fan controller, it will just tell you the temp. But, it will only tell you the temp with the adjoining display hardware because all I see is a cable, no display. The fan controller has its own probes for its temperature monitoring display. It may be possible to re-wire one of the probes to display the temps from the loop probe but i'm not sure about this.

Here is another thing to consider... The fan controller you selected can only produce 1A per 12V channel meaning that the fan's connected will get 12W max. So make sure none of the fans you are going to use exceed this power.

Hi and welcome to the forums.

The water cooling loop temperature probe will not control the fan controller, it will just tell you the temp. But, it will only tell you the temp with the adjoining display hardware because all I see is a cable, no display. The fan controller has its own probes for its temperature monitoring display. It may be possible to re-wire one of the probes to display the temps from the loop probe but i'm not sure about this.

Here is another thing to consider... The fan controller you selected can only produce 1A per 12V channel meaning that the fan's connected will get 12W max. So make sure none of the fans you are going to use exceed this power.

also, if you run more than one per channel, make sure total wattage isn't over 12 on each channel

That fan controller does not control fan speed by temperature.

You would need to get the Scythe Kaze Server to do that. BUT it only measures what the sensor is on which I dont believe can go in the water.

also, if you run more than one per channel, make sure total wattage isn't over 12 on each channel
Heh, isn't that what I said :) ?

That fan controller does not control fan speed by temperature.

You would need to get the Scythe Kaze Server to do that. BUT it only measures what the sensor is on which I dont believe can go in the water.

Ya, you would have to manually adjust the fan speed from the front of that controller via the knob.

You could do something like I did and use PWM fans on the radiator that ramp up speed based on the CPU temp monitored by the mainboard. I set up a custom profile for the fan speed using Gigabyte's EasyTune software so it maintains a certain base line fan speed and will ramp all the way to 100% at another temp set point. If you're only using one fan you can re-wire it to connect directly to the mainboard with no other lines needed. If you are using multiple fans you just need to feed the 12V+ from a spare molex and split the other lines because the mainboard ussually only supplies about 1A @ 12V across the PWM cpu pinout.

Hi,

Thank you for advice.
I did some research and I am almost sure that re-wire would not be necessary. Referring to Scythe it seems that probes provided are not permanently fixed to controller and on the back of it there are two-pin male connectors the perfect match to phobya two-pin female. Additionally I’ve emailed shop I would like to buy parts from and here is their feedback:

Hi

Phobya have tested these with the Kaze fan controllers and say they will work and be as accuarate as any other temperature display out there.

Regards

Adrian Mundy
Sales Manager
Specialtech Support

Going back to the fans as I mentioned before I have two Sanyo Denki sitting on the rad. These are 0.38A/4.56W each so connecting them to two separate channels will give me plenty of headroom. The remaining two channels I will use for Akasa AK-FN058 Apache x2 and Akasa AK-183-L2B x2. With two per channel these are taking less A/W than single Sanyo Denki.

I don’t actually mind about controlling the fan speed manually as long I would be able to do it. At the moment I have fans connected to mobo CPU fan and it’s LOUD. I now know that fans at around 1350 rpm are quiet and any higher than that is not going to give me a lot more cooling power without the jet like sound.

My aim initially was to get fan controller to get noise down but now, with this setup I can have temp readings before and after rad (ΔT) so I could tune everything up for low noise/temp and high OC without spending to much money (extra cost of two temp probes in addition to controller).

Regards

In all honesty you really only need two (max 3) fan speeds. I run my 6000 rpm Sanyo Denki at 800rpms when idle/internet/watching movies. I run at about 2500 rpm while gaming and at 6000 rpm while gaming. Just hook up a normal Sunbeam Rheobus and be done with it. It's the best and cheapest solution.

Back