• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having Problems Crashing In Games...(ATI Radeon 5870)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neff

Hi!

I have a ATI Radeon 5870 and i have been playing Battlefield 2 Bad Company and Dirt 2 and they all seem to freeze on me with colored stripped lines across the page horizontally...

I am Running an Overclocked

AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor from 2.5 GhZ to 3.002 GHz AM2+
I have 4.00 GBs of True talent Memory DDR2
Running Windows 7 64-bit
Ultra LSP PRo 750 WATT power supply
and i have The Radeon HD 5870
Case is the HAF 932 Cooler Master

I have been told that maybe its my Power Supply not being able to keep up with my Video Card and that causes a crash.. but wouldnt that turn the computer totally off? instead of just crashing game...

Also i after the crashes i have been getting blue screen and minidumps... and i run them in WinDBG and it just says Hardware.. So i'm really confused...

When i benchmark in Unigine Heaven it doesnt crash at all on all highest settings.. so i am now a little stumped anyone know what my problem could be? perphaps i overclocked my processor wrong? eh? My Video Card is bottlenecking things or what.... *lost*:bang head

Another thing i forgot to add is that under a full load my Core Processor inches it was up to like 57c but not above that...

Could be anything at this point. Try running at stock speed and see if it happens. If you have a multimeter run it on your power supply and see if the voltages are correct. Test your ram with memtest.

To me it sounds like your CPU overclock may not be as stable as you may think.

Run Prime95 for a few hours and see if it does the same thing...

After Running Prime95 only for a few minutes my Core seems to be at High of 68c and and fluctuates to 67c - 68c.... now its hitting the 69c...

Id go after the RAM or the video card before the PSU personally. Have you tested the RAM in memtest? If you are locking up with lines across the screen, it usually isnt a CPU error (atleast from my personal experiences). Is your 5870 overclocked?

Id definitely run memtest first, then check the video card for stability (run FurMark), and set your CPU back to its stock clocks during this, to ensure that isnt the issue (hell, set them to stock before trying all of that if you want, to rule it out quickly).

The Ram test ran fine actually and I ran Unigine Heaven on the My Card didnt see any artifacts seem to run fine on ALL high settings was getting like from 17-22 fps with eh Tessalation on and didnt crash once... i am going to go back into Bios and Set my Processor back to Default... to see maybe if i overlocked wrong and what not...and then i'll Run FurMark on my Video Card...

So I Ran FurMark On highest settings with the Stabilitiy Test on 1920x1080 MSAA on 8x and ran it for 5 minutes... At max the temps of the Card got up to 88 to 89c MAX the fps was great but other then the crash after that i had to manually restart my computer... there weren't artifacts it just froze...

*EDIT*

No my 5870 is not Overlocked its running at Stock Speeds..

High Performance GPU Clock Settings - 850 MHZ
Memory Clock - 1200Mhz

Last edited:
On another note I play that game also with a 9800 gt med settings and my game crashes sometimes, pretty sure I need a better card for this game its demanding for the GPU and CPU.

Back