• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing Vista in a Dual Boot with Win 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iEATu

Registered
I've already searched this on the internet for awhile, and it looks dangerous since my operating system might not be able to load again if I get rid of vista. I installed Vista first, and then windows 7.
I have Vista on a separate disk, while Windows 7 is on a partitioned disk that also has all of my programs and stuff. Does anyone know a safe way to remove Vista?

If you loaded W7 second and thats the OS you want to keep, I think you should be fine just removing it out of the boot options in W7 as its using hte W7 boot loader and not vista. Then you would just reformat your Vista partition and viola.

Worst thing that can happen with that is you have to run a repair install on W7.

For some reason, disk management doesn't show anything. It just keeps loading. I've tried to use it before and it didn't work that time either.
That sounds easy enough EarthDog but I thought that it's using the vista boot loader because it is installed first.

How are you going about trying to open the console, by typing diskmgmt.msc in the Start Search field? What happens when you open Computer Management (right click Computer and select Manage), expand Storage, and select Disk Management? Have you tried creating a new Disk Management snap-in console from within the MMC?

I don't know how to make a new disk management snap-in console. Disk management is saying either that it is connecting to the virtual disk service, which I checked is started, or loading disk configuration information.

I tried both ways to open disk management. Through the computer management and just by opening disk management by itself.

Back