• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me overclock my computer (q6600 g0 + p5q + ddr2 1066 dominator)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

assado

Hope you guys doing fine,

I want to overclock my computer, I've googled a lot about this and I've also tried some settings, but nothing worked at all.

So I'd like you guys to help me:
I got q6600 g0 + Asus P5Q + 2x 2gb 1066 Corsair Dominator 5-5-5-15
I got a really good cpu cooler, so high temps won't be a problem at 3.4-3.8 ghz

here are some screen shots I took using Cpu-z, hope this help you guys:
memorycpuz.gif

this is how my bios settings looks (default):
1oc.jpg

2oc.gif

5oc.gif

6oc.gif

I'd like you guys to tell me which settings I should go for in BIOS. Tell me what to enable/disable, and how much voltage, memory settings and numbers to use.

thank you very much

Last edited:
From the images I see, I assume that you're trying to get your memory to run at 1066mhz and it's set timings?!
If you're having problems with that, also check voltage for the memory. Default is probably 1.8v or so and to run 1066mhz (depending on the memory) you may need 2.1v. At least, the Corsair Dominators do. Without the extra voltage they won't.

On another note... I'd never start an OC by setting DRAM frequencies. Also, if you do plan on OCing the CPU, make sure you read a few guides carefully.

:welcome:Read this guide first, then give it a try, then ask questions.

HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - A Guide v1.1
LINK:http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515316

I already took a look there, and I tried the following:

in the first BIOS picture, I disabled everything, and put the multiplier/cpu ratio as 9.

Then I set like this:
Ai Overclock Tuner: Manual
CPU Ratio Setting: 09.0
FSB Frequency: 365
DRAM Frenquency: DDR2 1168
CPU Voltage: 1.36250
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.52
DRAM Voltage: 2.2
NB Voltage: 1.45
SB Voltage: 1.150

After doing this, I save and exit the BIOS, and I got a message of failure overclocking try

That's why I am asking help to overclock it, maybe someone with similar computer config can tell me which settings to use

From the images I see, I assume that you're trying to get your memory to run at 1066mhz and it's set timings?!
If you're having problems with that, also check voltage for the memory. Default is probably 1.8v or so and to run 1066mhz (depending on the memory) you may need 2.1v. At least, the Corsair Dominators do. Without the extra voltage they won't.

On another note... I'd never start an OC by setting DRAM frequencies. Also, if you do plan on OCing the CPU, make sure you read a few guides carefully.

I set DRAM voltage as 2.2, but system does not load

I got a really good cpu cooler, so high temps won't be a problem at 3.4-3.8 ghz

What are you using to cool it? Are you using some sort of big hsf or custom water cooling loop? q6600 throw off alot of heat....

Also like posted above read the o/c guides and I wouldn't start my o/c with going to the ram first. I would set it at a 1:1 ratio to bring the speed down from that 1168... could possibly be the reason you're failing.... the ram may not be able to handle that speed.

I would a pic of the cpu section in cpuz and something like coretemp.

i always underclock my ram until i achieve my max stable OC. Then i start playing around with my RAM.

Off subject: Benitora just curios about temps with your H20 setup with your Q66

i always underclock my ram until i achieve my max stable OC. Then i start playing around with my RAM.

Off subject: Benitora just curios about temps with your H20 setup with your Q66

Fully agree... RAM should be the last thing to worry about. Personally I even first start by under-volting my CPU... find out what voltage below stock the CPU will still stably run stock clocks. It can help give you an indication of where you might be at stock voltage. But that's just my personal way of doing things.
I strongly suggest going slow... especially on your first overclock. Don't expect too much and keep it in small increments. So follow the guides carefully and don't think that you can skip certain parts. These guides do things for a reason.

Another note... know your hardware. The corsair dominators are made to operate at 2.1v only for the 1066mhz they're intended. Don't start pushing them too far. Also, you'll probably find that when overclocking CPU, you're generally gonna underclock your RAM. Let's say you aim at an FSB of 1600, just have your ram run at 'sync' (or 2:1) giving it 800mhz. But let's not rush it. First go slowly upping CPU till you've reached a stable frequency that doesn't require more then 1.3v (just to be on the safe side), even if your memory in 'sync' is far underclocked. (800mhz or under doesn't require more then a default 1.8~1.85v)

Only once you're there, move on. Don't push things, as you'll also have to adjust other voltages before moving CPU voltages up more.

Hope this helps a bit. Be patient and it will all come together ;)

I already took a look there, and I tried the following:

in the first BIOS picture, I disabled everything, and put the multiplier/cpu ratio as 9.

Then I set like this:
Ai Overclock Tuner: Manual
CPU Ratio Setting: 09.0
FSB Frequency: 365
DRAM Frenquency: DDR2 1168
CPU Voltage: 1.36250
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.52
DRAM Voltage: 2.2
NB Voltage: 1.45
SB Voltage: 1.150

After doing this, I save and exit the BIOS, and I got a message of failure overclocking try

That's why I am asking help to overclock it, maybe someone with similar computer config can tell me which settings to use

I set DRAM voltage as 2.2, but system does not load

You will not likely get the Dominators to run at 1168MHz

try 450x8 and set the ram to 1081 drop your PL level to 8 or 9 for now and you can tighten everything up once you get it running smooth

by what you guys are saying, the Corsair Dominator is a really bad memory, right? Cause they are DDR2 1066 mhz and they can't even go to 1168mhz?

Dominators are known to be rock solid, not high overclockers. Besides, 1066 is already 266mhz beyond your motherboards default clock. A lot of these motherboards don't even offer enough bandwidth to run 4dimms at that frequency.
I had them myself and was very happy with them, just don't expect to OC your CPU and RAM all that high. It's not very common from what I know. Underclocking RAM is what's done generally at tighter timings. It's not so much as what the RAM can or can't do, it's bandwidth and ratios that can cause instability or failure to OC. At least, that's my experience. In the end I always just ended up with 'sync' (2:1) ratio, as I had 4x 2gb Dominators and was pretty much forced to stay at 800mhz max anyways and had my FSB at 1600.

by what you guys are saying, the Corsair Dominator is a really bad memory, right? Cause they are DDR2 1066 mhz and they can't even go to 1168mhz?

No the Dominators are great ram but the 2x2GB kit will not clock as high as the 2x1GB kits, my 2x1GB kit will do 1240MHz, the 2x2GB kit I have will do around 1100MHz.

Depending on what version of Dominators you have you might have D9 ic's or you might not. So underclock your ram for now and work the chip, once its rock solid bring the ram in to play and work it up from there

Back