• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vertex 2 write problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Icebl@ster

Hello im having some problems with my ssd. My reads are about right at 204 but my writes are 62 when they should be around 120. Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks
Ice

what OS are you using on the drive, how full is it, and how big is it?

Nope vertex 2 50gig about 30 gigs free and used crystal disk. I enabled ahci in bios. If you guys would like i can post screenshots of the the three benchmarks?

Thanks

i should have also asked what motherboard this is on, need to know the chipset really.

Evga x58 sli le currently...i changed from a gigabyte ud3r that the ssd worked fine speed wise

i went to evga's website and installed the chipset driver if thats what you mean or is included in...else where do i find those?

Edit found drivers off intel's site but there in floppy disk form and i dont have access to use floppy how do install them?

Edit for the second time...appears i have the newest ich driver i believe...version 9.6.0.1014

Thanks

Last edited:
It should be much higher than 120, I'm not sure where you got that number from, but the specs on your drive are 285 read and 275 write. Have you updated the firmware on the drive itself?

i went to evga's website and installed the chipset driver if thats what you mean or is included in...else where do i find those?

Edit found drivers off intel's site but there in floppy disk form and i dont have access to use floppy how do install them?

Edit for the second time...appears i have the newest ich driver i believe...version 9.6.0.1014

Thanks
well im not sure where/how you got floppy drivers.... well looks like you were looking at the config setup for raid with win7 not the ich drivers.

unless i missed it somewhere the AHCI driver should be in this package here. there is no floppy needed just download either the .zip or .exe and go.
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3151&DwnldID=18494&lang=eng
is for version 9.6.0.1025

did you ever get SS's of the benchmarks so we can see what exactly is showing up low? since some do 4k and 512k and higher writes it could be any of them in the 60mb/s range. if that is the 4k write, that is 3x faster then my raid-0 setup in 4k writes.

It should be much higher than 120, I'm not sure where you got that number from, but the specs on your drive are 285 read and 275 write. Have you updated the firmware on the drive itself?
i would have to say it sounds more driver related then it is FW. FW wouldnt hold back his write speeds like that. at first i was thinking he was using a AMD SB with the SSD and getting such low write speeds. guess we will find out the issue soon enough.

yea my bad on the floppy drivers..ran that intel package and it left the ahci controller at the same version i mentioned earlier

Sorry i thought i mentioned i was posting seq read/writes.....writes apparently should be 140ish not 120....im getting my numbers from another vertex 2 benchmark

Also i just updated the firmware. to v1.1

Screenshots:
bencha.jpg

Last edited:
well i cant really say much but its odd your atto numbers look good but the others. they are a bit lower then they should be. honastly i have no idea what could be going on now, i would hit up the ocz forums.

it could be the way the controller handles those other two benches... i mean my atto is a bit higher vs crystal disk mark but not as large of a difference as your seeing. this is what has me perplexed...

long shot but switch bios to IDE mode and see if your xfere rates change up or down. post a ss please..

Yeah, that's quite odd. The ATTO is basically spot on... I've never had any success with AS SSD, but the crystaldiskmark is definitely low. Like Evil said, try switching to IDE. I run in IDE and I get over advertised speeds in most benches.

History:I switched from a gigabyte ud3r board that worked perfectly and gave me the speeds everyone else seems to get but the chokes were very noisy and i returned it and got this board. So the SSD shouldnt be the problem

But tried to boot onto ide mode and it wont boot. Even reinstalled windows and it will not boot to ssd unless on ahci. Any thoughts?

IDE is considered older, ie more mature then AHCI. booting to ide mode should be no problem even when doing a fresh install. making me think something may be wrong with the drive.

*added*
err well if your switching back and forth from AHCI to IDE mode. the boot or primary boot device gets switched on most boards i have tinkered with. did you make sure the SSD was selected as primary when going back to IDE mode?

Just disconnected everything but the ssd and it will not boot in ide. Should i post on ocz's forums and see what they say? I think ive stumped you guys.=//

so you did check to make sure the ssd in ide mode was the primary boot device? you didnt say yes or no about this, as it would be the only thing stopping it from booting up. even with all other devices disconnected...

Back