• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

yellow?? some new TV and LCD has yellow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
I noticed this when I was checking out my steal of the day and it seems a few TVs are offering red-yellow-green-blue elements now. Is there any reason other than useless marketing ploy to offer yellow element on TVs and monitors in addition to standard RGB??:screwy:

Standard video do not carry extra color at all, so either the yellow element would get ignored or if the TV forces yellow to be used instead of red+green, then yellow area could become over-saturated.

I doubt all million or so of DVD and BRs would be upgraded to carry extra yellow info for those TV, and the disc players would need an upgrade as well.

I think they are just blowing smoke up one's butt. Like certain brand claiming to be NTSC standardized, when NTSC was set more than half century ago and by that claim, the TV wouldn't pass modern standard. :D

anandtech did an article and the yellow sub pixle... essentially its pointless and a marketing ploy as you get almost no more additional color gamut.

googled and found this
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2062813

has a few more links.

there's a mention of improving brightness while using 3D video or gaming but customer level 3D technology hasn't taken off yet. There still a matter of standardizing 3D video stream, 3D capable players, and 3D displays. Glasses for one brand usually will not work for other brand, a barrier that is likely going to keep 3D TV from taking off.

to maximize color gamut

what good is that when average human eye can't see much more shades of color than what good TV can do now day...

Putting more colors out while keeping to 2D video, I still say it's smoke up your butt...

I DO have a new Sharp 60" LCD with the yellow pixels. Its brighter, more bang but the yellows are a bit unnaturally saturated. So I toned them down a bit.

Yea, you look at this article and it says the same.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/display_myths_shattered?page=0,0 Last page.

I'm very happy, the price was very good and it's a LOT better than my 50" XRSD Sony DLP.
I upgraded not for the yellow, it was time to upgrade and for the price it was the best I could get.

It's like 3D TV. No real applications yet but it's coming.

i am amused at the gamut chart, showing very little space between current video standard and our eye's limit.

adding yellow subpixels really will not improve much. those tv makers may have better luck expanding gamut beyond standard video if they added cyan or magenta subpixels.

Attachments

• 9_myths_405.jpg
    9_myths_405.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 252
Back