• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

File and Media Sharing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coreyoliseffect

Aight Thid as you requested. :thup:

Code:
sudo apt-get install samba samba-client
You can connect to Windows shares.

I ran that command via the terminal and tested it and it returned an ID10T error.:eh?: It is still giving me the same message.:temper:

Here is some info that might be missing. The partition that all of my media is stored on is not part of the windows file system. I have the whole R0+1 thing going on. It is allowing me to view the files that windows created for media, Just not the ones that I created on a separate partition.:sn:

Thanks for the post Thid! Oh wait don't we have a button for that? :eek::p

also, you might want to post exactly what you are trying to do. i am assuming you have a windows pc running that has the media on it and you want to share it so that you can access it via linux, is that correct? could you also post what versions of windows/linux you are using as well?

check out smbmount (It's in the smbfs package if you're on ubuntu). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smbmount You can mount a windows share under linux using standard mount syntax; just make a share of the raid partition on the windows box, and you should be good to go.

also, you might want to post exactly what you are trying to do. i am assuming you have a windows pc running that has the media on it and you want to share it so that you can access it via linux, is that correct? could you also post what versions of windows/linux you are using as well?

Here is the original post from the other thread. Win7 64bit and Ubuntu 10.04. The media is stored on the Win7 PC and I want to have access to it from the Ubuntu PC.

I am on a mission again. I am now looking for an addon or addons that will allow me to share media (pictures, movies, and music) to my laptop from my desktop. My desktop is running Win7 and the laptop is running Ubuntu. I have worked out the file sharing it seems but all that I have access to is the Public folder. I made sure that the folders that I want to share were enabled for sharing but when I try to access it from my laptop it says, "Unable to mount location Failed to mount Windows share".

All that being said I am looking for addons that will ease the process of sharing files and media from windows to linux and linux to linux based machines. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Now I remember what is was that I was thinking. Also any media browsing addons are welcome as well. I am not really looking for a full OS base but I see where that could come in handy is anyone wants to mention them. :D

iirc, windows 7 changed some things with their sharing to make it more secure and it's sort of broken its samba/cifs compatibility. at least, all of my linux boxes can't connect to my windows7 shares. I haven't fully investigated it but i remember seeing some where that that was the issue.

Oh bother. Yea I was pretty sure that I had Samba installed but I barley know what I am doing with Linux anywho. It isn't a huge concern at this point as the comp that I watch everything from is on the Win7 comp. It is just one of those things, ya know?

If anyone else has any ideas; I am willing to get my hands dirty. I am down with a good learning experience with Linux.

well for linux to linux sharing, i would suggest looking into nfs. that is what i use on all of my linux machines for sharing as it is very simple to set up.

for windows 7 to linux, have you tried mounting with cifs? i have been out of the loop when it comes to sharing from windows to linux for a while but i was thinking that cifs was supposed to be replacing smbfs? (i may be way off here as it has been a few years since i have had to share from windows to linux)

i found this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1263319

The only thing that works for me is to use the Terminal and run the following command:
Code:
sudo mount -t cifs //computer_name/server /home/username/share -o username=xxxx,password=xxxxx,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777

the move away from smbfs to cifs happened before windows 7 came out so you'd think all current distros would be updated. it looks like it's possible to mount manually via commandline/fstab, but using the "browse" tools doesn't work (i.e. places>network doesn't even show my win7 machines).

i remember having issues in XBMC even when setting a username and password too.

eidt: just did another search, found this http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Windows_File_Sharing_(SMB/SAMBA/CIFS)
Windows 7 (x64) users : You must uninstall Windows Live Sign-in Assistant for sharing to work. Reasons are unclear as why you need to do that.

the move away from smbfs to cifs happened before windows 7 came out so you'd think all current distros would be updated. it looks like it's possible to mount manually via commandline/fstab, but using the "browse" tools doesn't work (i.e. places>network doesn't even show my win7 machines).

i remember having issues in XBMC even when setting a username and password too.

eidt: just did another search, found this http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Windows_File_Sharing_(SMB/SAMBA/CIFS)

I just want to double check before I uninstall that program from Win7. it doesn't do anything important does it? :sly: <Insert joke about Microsoft OS>

I am pretty sure that I have never used it but I figure that it is worth asking.

Not sure if this is related at all but I have noticed that when I try to access some of the other drives via my laptop I am prompted for a user/password. I am pretty sure that I have never set one. Disregard that bit if it is something different. The drives that I am speaking of do not contain files of interest.

This sort of falls under the same title so reusing an old post seems like it is economical.

I am about to step away from XP on an olderish comp that I purchased refurb from tiger direct. It is supposed to be a HTPC type but I used it for my main for a long time. The XP install has been riddled over time and I don't have a disk to wipe and re-install. No biggie, like I said it has turned into a HTPC anywho. Down to the question. If have read the above I was working on sharing my media from my Win7 rig to my Linux(Ubuntu 10.04) laptop. I still have not worked that out but I am not as concerned with that right now. What I am looking for now is a distro that will allow me to access the media that is on my Win7 rig from my HTPC. The HTPC is the rig that I will be switching to Linux. Any suggestions?

If anyone gets spunky and wants to further the conversation about the issue from above feel free to. I still have not worked it out. Slight reason being user inactivity.

Back