• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st time installing Win7 on an SSD - What do I need to know?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

Monday or Tuesday I'll be getting my case and installing Windows 7 Pro on an 80GB Intel X25-M G2. I've never done a Windows 7 install let alone an SSD install and I want to make sure I don't miss any needed optimizations. What do I do? Thanks!

I'm also interested in the idea of just having a SSD for the OS... Is the performance increase noticible? and is it worth the price? and would just a 16GB SSD do for a OS install? I don't think i'm going to be using it for anything other than running the OS from.

This seems like a great idea, i don't know why a reasonable sized SSD isn't being MASS produced to bring the cost down by heaps just to run the OS. but i'm sure there is a big disadvantage that i'm not seeing, anyone???

I'm also interested in the idea of just having a SSD for the OS

Why not at least get a 60GB one and throw all your games/programs on the same one as the OS ? You'll likely notice programs and games that are constantly loading stuff for you rather than your OS which to be honest is really responsive even on a 7200RPM drive. You'll probably notice a faster bootup time.. A few things like how windows responds to actions, or closing programs are usually predefined time margins that MS has built into windows. There's an unlocker you can get to change them all, right down to telling it to close unresponsive programs immediately.

to save some space upon initial boot into windows type, cmd and pres enter... then type

powercfg -h off

this will turn off hibernation and save you a coupla gigs.

Also let windows create the 100mb system reserved partition, this will correctly align the partition and offer better performance. and lastly if you read some ssd tweak guides they will say turn off superfetch.... please dont, superfetch uses the awesome read speed of the ssd to load programs to ram, and honestly it makes win 7 what it is.

The 100mb partition is not for alignment. I thought the same thing several months ago. However, its for bitlocker and some other junk.

Agree with hibernation and add system restore to that, just make sure you make backup images or are willing to reinstall.

Superfetch uses RAM doesnt it? It loads your most frequently used programs to ram from the HDD for faster loading...I agree with the advice (on/off I didnt notice a difference for the record), but the reasoning behind it is, I believe, incorrect. Superfetch uses ram, not the HDD. ;)

Last edited:
Just a FYI, but Intel recommends disabling Superfetch on their SSD line in both Vista and Win7...
Superfetch is designed to open your frequently used programs more quickly. However, this technique doesn’t speed up an Intel SSD’s performance significantly and can ultimately have a negative effect on the performance of the drive
Intel®SSD New Users Guide
http://download.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/newusersguide.pdf

Thanks for the info. What about partition alignment? Will the install automatically take care of it?

You do not need to do any tweaks. The Windows 7 installer aligns the partition correctly when it creates it. Nor do you need to do anything to Superfetch, Windows 7 disables it automatically for SSDs with good random read performance.

Two thing:
  1. You need to run the WEI benchmark thingy so that Windows 7 know the SSD is fast enough that disabling Superfetch is a good idea.
  2. It still won't disable the whole Superfetch service because many people have both SSDs and hard drives and you still want to Superfetch from the hard drives. Instead it just doesn't fetch from the SSD, even though the Superfetch service isn't disabled.

Two thing:
  1. You need to run the WEI benchmark thingy so that Windows 7 know the SSD is fast enough that disabling Superfetch is a good idea.
  2. It still won't disable the whole Superfetch service because many people have both SSDs and hard drives and you still want to Superfetch from the hard drives. Instead it just doesn't fetch from the SSD, even though the Superfetch service isn't disabled.

If the secondary hard drive is used strictly for storage, won't superfetch not matter anyways?

The 100mb partition is not for alignment. I thought the same thing several months ago. However, its for bitlocker and some other junk.

Agree with hibernation and add system restore to that, just make sure you make backup images or are willing to reinstall.

Superfetch uses RAM doesnt it? It loads your most frequently used programs to ram from the HDD for faster loading...I agree with the advice (on/off I didnt notice a difference for the record), but the reasoning behind it is, I believe, incorrect. Superfetch uses ram, not the HDD. ;)

the 100mb partition aligns to 1024kb thus aligning it and the partition after it.

Like i said, superfetch is a good thing... it loads programs to ram and regardless of your hdd type, loading from the ram will ALWAYS be faster. Its just with an SSD you wont be reading as long during initial startup because their read speeds tend to be faster. Win 7 does a great job with ram management so dont be worried by superfetch hogging your ram... if a program needs more ram superfetch decaches some stuff to make room instantly.

Like i said, superfetch is a good thing... it loads programs to ram and regardless of your hdd type, loading from the ram will ALWAYS be faster. Its just with an SSD you wont be reading as long during initial startup because their read speeds tend to be faster. Win 7 does a great job with ram management so dont be worried by superfetch hogging your ram... if a program needs more ram superfetch decaches some stuff to make room instantly.

Yes the RAM is fast, but the access time drop isn't so significant that you'd probably be able to notice. Shutting it off is more a reliability issue from what I've read. You don't want to waste writes on something that doesn't give a significant performance gain.

the 100mb partition aligns to 1024kb thus aligning it and the partition after it.

I have been aligned without it. Its not specifically for that at all. Please read my link, and take a gander around the web for yourself for other proof. That does not specifically align the drive.

Yes the RAM is fast, but the access time drop isn't so significant that you'd probably be able to notice. Shutting it off is more a reliability issue from what I've read. You don't want to waste writes on something that doesn't give a significant performance gain.

how do you waste writes when all your doing is reading from the drive?

and yes you can be aligned without the 100mb partition but its much easier to explain / tell someone to just let the win 7 installer make the 100mb partition which has a side effect of aligning the main partition.

how do you waste writes when all your doing is reading from the drive?

and yes you can be aligned without the 100mb partition but its much easier to explain / tell someone to just let the win 7 installer make the 100mb partition which has a side effect of aligning the main partition.

I read somewhere that superfetch keeps logs and re-writes certain sectors over and over again which kills the cells. I'll see if I can find the article.

Back