• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dilemma for large storage solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brad P

I was wondering if I could get some advice.

I have a HTPC/Desktop with a RAID1 array of 2 1TB drives and a single 2TB drive for media on a Asus P5Q Pro board with the ICH10R chipset. Both the array and single drive get backed up to external drives.

I want to replace the 2TB drive with a RAID solution. I already have 3 2TB drives for this and 2 1TB if they can be used, all WD Caviar Greens.

I can make 4 SATA ports available to create an array. I was also considering a 5-port RAID controller card but can't find one that seems good or not too expensive (<$200) and that is PCIe x1. I don't have an available x16 slot.

I wanted to have a 5 drive RAID5 setup using 5 2TB drives (for 8TB storage) but don't have enough ports unless I get a card. Speed is not critical as it will just be used for media.

Another option was use the 3 2TB drives and the 2 1TB drives on a 5 port card on a RAID0 array for 8TB...again taking into account I'd need a backup solution. Is there a card where I can stripe across different size drives for a RAID0? is that even possible? My board doesn't support more than 2 drives anyway.

Thanks for any help/advice

I suggest building a RAID0 array from the (3) 2TB Caviars. Then you can connect one of the 1TB drives to the remaining port if you like. If you create an array of 3x2TB drives + 1x1TB drive the result will be a 4TB array(in the case of RAID0).

Are you sure you want RAID0? Usually RAID0 is used for speed benefits, and it sounds to me you're looking for some form of redundancy...

IMO, there are two primary options right now:

1) Sell your WD green drives, and replace them with regular non-green drives, and purchase a DELL PERC 5i. Usually, they can be found for less than $150, and can be used in a PCI-E 1x slot if you cut the motherboard's plastic to physically fit the card. This will give you the 5, 2TB drive RAID 5 setup. (The green drives power down to save power, but this causes errors with the RAID card.)

2) Look into a dedicated server running unRAID. There is redunancy similar to RAID 5, but you can mix and match drive sizes. unRAID also allows drives to power down, thus you can use green drives.

Thanks for the replies

I can't make a Raid array 0 or 1 with more than 2 drives according to my manual I skimmed over last night.

After reading your post Neon, I double checked and yes, Green HDD's aren't a good idea for Raid. :bang head I figure I can sell them easily, 2 of them are still unopened. As for a non-green 2TB that isn't too pricey, that will be a challenge.

Your idea with the perc is a good one minus cutting the plastic on my x1 slot. I have the tools to do it for sure but cutting my mobo makes me nervous lol

Back