• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Turning a graphics card 90 degrees?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarkS

I am a bus driver. I am in need of a laptop, but I really do not want a laptop. I need to bring my development projects with me on the road, and some of them require more power than any laptop I can afford would give.

What I would like to do is a little more bold. I want to design a case that is just big enough for the components and design a folding lid for the guts of my 23" monitor. Basically, it would be a thick laptop, sans keyboard and trackpad, with a full desktop system inside.

I know this sounds crazy, but when I am traveling, I am the one making the vehicle move, so I can only use the computer at the hotel. Size is not too big of an issue, but I still do not want a full size case.

Anyway, I would like to keep the GTX 260 I am currently using. However, it is too tall for the case I have in mind. What I need is a card that plugs into the PCI Express slot and redirects it 90 degrees. I know things like this exist, but I have no idea where to find one.

Any ideas? I could design this card myself, but the connector is hard to find and that is a hell of a lot of pins to solder...

I believe you could find said item by looking on server retail sites as they are often used in 1 and 2u racks. I would also check/post in the case modding sub-forum. I have seen a thread with someone who had this item (IIRC it was project: rackmount overkill).

Edit: It's not rackmount overkill, but I'll keep looking.

Edit edit: Couldn't find the thread, but found this. Pm him to find out where he got his.

Edit edit edit: Sigh. Looked at that and it's AGP. Maybe you should just try the server sites.

Last edited:
I believe you could find said item by looking on server retail sites as they are often used in 1 and 2u racks. I would also check/post in the case modding sub-forum. I have seen a thread with someone who had this item (IIRC it was project: rackmount overkill).

Edit: It's not rackmount overkill, but I'll keep looking.

Awesome! Now that I knew where to look, I was able to find it on NewEgg. Never thought to look in the server section.

Thanks! :thup::beer:

Be aware server chassis are loud and use non-standard power supplies.
2U Rackmount cases can fit 80mm fans and a variety of CPU heatsinks, make sure to get one that will allow for a riser instead of just low-profile.

However... if you don't need a multi-processor supercomputer on the road, you can make an ITX system, not much bigger than a game console and lots of power, you could have a quadcore and high-end graphics card(or GTX 260).

Back