• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CAT6 replaces HDMI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That will be sweet! I find it hard to belive that cat6 could be superior to HDMI though....

Bandwidth is what i wonder about, unless they go to gigabit ethernet, 100mbit is the cap, as opposed to HDMI1.3 at 10.2gbit.
Pretty big bandwidth difference there.

Bandwidth is what i wonder about, unless they go to gigabit ethernet, 100mbit is the cap, as opposed to HDMI1.3 at 10.2gbit.
Pretty big bandwidth difference there.
We are talking two totally different applications. Networking speeds are way different than data transfer speeds. You can't compare the two. EDIT: I see it offers networking capabilities, never mind. That is odd.

Over short distances, you can use CAT5e and CAT6 cables for pretty much anything (other than larger power loads). It may not be ideal, but you can get shielded ones that would work quite well.

They already have HDMI extenders that use Cat5e/6 cables.
This is different though as they are also attempting to add other services to the connector also.

I think it's good news. Standardization of cables and connectors FTW. RJ45 switches + RJ45 cables for everything FTW.

Exactly what Bobnova said... bandwidth
You missed my point though: Copper is copper. They are almost the exact same thing, short of the ends on each cable (of course). On a short cable, you could substitute an Ethernet cable and get no data loss.

You missed my point though: Copper is copper. They are almost the exact same thing, short of the ends on each cable (of course). On a short cable, you could substitute an Ethernet cable and get no data loss.

Well, I don't know how many strands of copper are behind each channel in HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 but each of the three channel has a bandwidth of 3.40 Gb/s totalling 10.2 Gb/s. Heck the HDMI v1.4 has a 10/100 ethernet channel ontop of the full 10.2 Gb/s TDMS... I don't think a cat-6 cable can support that kind of throughput. I have read 2 Gb/s is about the max on a 4-twisted pair cat 6 type cable.

Although, to contradict myself and defend cat-6 I have also read that HD data streams are on average 1.5Gb/s though but I did not see what source they were refering to ie 1080p Blu-ray with full 7.1 DTS-MA HD audio may take up a lot more bandwidth than your typical 1080i HD channel over the cable.

Edit:
Cat6 can handle 10Gb just fine.
I'm not saying you're wrong but I haven't seen numbers like that reported anywhere..... Networking is not my profession either though, so please post some links to some reputable information.

I'm not saying you're wrong but I haven't seen numbers like that reported anywhere..... Networking is not my profession either though, so please post some links to some reputable information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat6

The cable standard provides performance of up to 250 MHz and is suitable for 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX (Fast Ethernet), 1000BASE-T / 1000BASE-TX (Gigabit Ethernet) and 10GBASE-T (10-Gigabit Ethernet)
http://www.siemon.com/us/white_papers/06-01-10_10G-horizontal-cabling-choices.asp

Thanks for the info Thideras

I was under the misunderstanding that you needed special equipment to run 10GBASE-T and that it could only be run on cat-6a not that it could be run on both but just in shorter spans to cut down on cross talk. Thank you for correcting me.

Now all you would need is about $2,500 for a switch and $800 for a NIC that support 10gbps (and these are cheap prices) :screwy: or get a $10 HDMI cable from monoprice.

Now all you would need is about $2,500 for a switch and $800 for a NIC that support 10gbps (and these are cheap prices) or get a $10 HDMI cable from monoprice.

You still seem to be completely missing the point. Ethernet and video are two entirely different applications, so they cannot be directly compared. Cat6 cable supports 10Gb ethernet, so that means the cable is capable of putting through 10Gb/sec bandwidth. If you replace the HDMI connector with an RJ45 connector, and use a CAT6 cable, you will get the exact same signal as you would've with an HDMI cable. It's that simple.

And besides... just because HDMI can handle 10.2Gb/sec, doesn't mean all that bandwidth is used anyway. A standard 60hz 1080p signal uses about 4.5Gb/sec.

Now all you would need is about $2,500 for a switch and $800 for a NIC that support 10gbps (and these are cheap prices) :screwy: or get a $10 HDMI cable from monoprice.

You don't need a 10Gb router or anything else just to use a cable that can sustain 10Gbps.

A cable is a cable is a cable. Eight copper wires can be connected an ethernet plug, 4 3.5mm stereo audio plugs, an HDMI plug, 4 coax plugs, etc.

The point is that they're switching to a much more standard and universal connector. There's no need for a new connector to run a new protocol over the same centuries-old concept of copper wire. It's far cheaper for everyone to produce and consume one style of connector on cables than for 3 dozen devices to have 3 dozen different kinds of connectors. Sometimes a new, smaller connector (like mini/micro USB) makes sense, like on an iPod or Kindle, where the device itself simply doesn't have the dimensions to support an RJ45 plug. On a TV or receiver or DVD player, there's absolutely no reason to not use the connectors we already have available.

Last edited:
I really hope that his takes off. I would love to be able to easily make custom cables for all of my connections. I know it can be done with other connector types. I just have a lot of practice with RJ45.

There is also a company using RJ45 and CAT5/6 for Audio Wiring in large facilities! Most faciliites would use XLR's and TT type patch fields with multi-core sheilded audio cable - and the associated labor involved in soldering ALL of these connections (thousands of them).

Using RJ45 and CAT6 along with standard RJ45 patch fields can drastically reduce installation and parts costs and makes for a denser jackfield (use less space) as well. This hasn't caught on just yet in the Pro-Audio realm, but I believe it has legs...

CAT5e also specifies Gold Plated Contacts IIRC - Another benefit over baseline XLR/TT connections that would generally be nickel or silver (gold generally costs more).

:cool:

Back