• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using support video card as main

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Danja

Hello,

I just decided to upgrade a broken rig. Being tired and stupid, I made my purchase decision at 3 AM and may have suckered myself. I saw a Radeon 4870 for close to a hundred dollars and pounced on it. Somehow, I missed the part where it said it was a support card. Here's what I got:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121376&cm_re=4870-_-14-121-376-_-Product

Has anyone ever run a support card as a main card? If so, was there any adjustment you had to make to driver/bios/etc?

Ive never heard of a "support card". Unless they are advertising an older card for a hybrid set up? I dont see any reason why it cant run as a main GPU. The specs show it to be a regular 4870gpu. i did a quick google search and I dont see the term "support card".

Sounds good to me! Thanks for the info!

I'm pretty excited now. This is only my second "real" graphics card; my first is the 8800m GTS in my Gateway FX laptop. Prior to that all of the computers I've used had integrated graphics. A 4870 is huge for me. I'm excited :)

Back