• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 480 vs GTX 465 SLI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WayOut

Hey everyone.

So I was just looking around on Newegg last night, and noticed that GTX 465's are currently on sale (as they should be ;)). $249 each. Then I looked over at the GTX 480 I currently have in my cart, for $499, or exactly the same price as two GTX 465's. Now I know on paper, two GTX 465's sound ridiculous and a really terrible idea, seeing as they're such s**ty, overpriced cards by themselves, but look at this review of the GTX 465 in SLI. In every single benchmark, two GTX 465's actually beats the GTX 480, and does it with less heat and hopefully less power consumption.

After looking through that article, I've decided to replace my GTX 480 with two GTX 465's, and am just wondering if this is a good idea as far as upgrades will go down the line. For the exact same price as one GTX 480, two GTX 465's will give me more power (almost that of a 5970!) with less heat and power draw. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I would go with one 480. You are only looking at a few FPS difference on one 1 card. Later down the road you can grab another one if you want. Most games are ave right around 60 FPS at 1920x1200 with the 480. (Looked at Crysis and BC2) I just dont really like the 465s very much...

Yeah, I don't like the 465's much either, but you can't beat that SLI performance for the price.

Oh well, I downgraded my case for my build (to a 700D) and made space for SLI'd Superclocked+ GTX 470's, which I'm pretty happy with. So I think I'll go with that. Thanks!

Back