• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5850 or 5870?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

reborn20

Hello, soon im gonna buy pc and I think i will take 5850 or 5870 not sure yet.. Tell me please which video card should I pick? And which brand? Sapphire, ASUS or XFX?

Well what are the rest of your specs? There's no point in going for a 5870 unless you have a beefy CPU to back it up. Same applies to the 5850. If you have a dual core at something like 2.6GHz there's no point.

brand is up to you. Just look at their warranty and see which fits you the best.

What resolution is your monitor? If its less than 1920x1080, do you plan on upgrading it?

Your best bet might be to just get a 5850. The 5870 will be about $100 more and if you aren't running above 1920 x 1080 resolution then you're wasting your money. XFX and Sapphire are two popular brands worth getting but make sure it's a reference card if you want to overclock it.

Ok thanks you. My monitor max is 1680x1050 and im not planning to upgrade it for atleast 1 year

If you choose 5870,the Asus 5870 matrix 2gb or Sapphire 5870 vapor X 2gb are best of the lot,that extra 1gb vram will come as extra GPU OC headroom:rock:

If you choose 5870,the Asus 5870 matrix 2gb or Sapphire 5870 vapor X 2gb are best of the lot,that extra 1gb vram will come as extra GPU OC headroom:rock:
Thats completely false. :rain:

Extra Vram will not give you anymore overclocking headroom. Also, 1GB at 1680x1050 is PLENTY of vram, and even at 1920x1080 it is. Those 2GB cards are for eyefinity/multi monitor setups.

Last edited:
For that resolution, the HD5850 will be plenty! It should even handle the 1920x1080 resolution fairly well on the vast majority of games. Unless you need crazy amounts of AA or anything, the 5850 will save you money too. Brand isn't as important, aftermarket coolers may help if you plan on overclocking. As long as the warranty is a couple of years or more then go for it, I doubt in 2 years you will have the card still if you're anything like me :p

For that resolution, the HD5850 will be plenty! It should even handle the 1920x1080 resolution fairly well on the vast majority of games. Unless you need crazy amounts of AA or anything, the 5850 will save you money too. Brand isn't as important, aftermarket coolers may help if you plan on overclocking. As long as the warranty is a couple of years or more then go for it, I doubt in 2 years you will have the card still if you're anything like me :p

Agree ^ . The newer 5850's with the egg style coolers run quite cool and are pretty quiet if that is a concern.

Well i'll take 5850 then. And honestly 1280x1024 is good enough for me.

Back