• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Cooling for Antec 900 II case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

domanb

I just started getting into overclocking. I have an Antec 900 2 case (a.k.a 902) with a side fan installed. Using stock cooling for my CPU, I am able to run stable at 3.6. I want to hit 4.0 but before I do I had a couple questions.

1. I'm using Prime95 for stress testing. What sort of settings do people usually use? I tried running a 4 thread torture test and the tests stopped right away. Changing to 1 thread it was able to run for 5 hours no problem. So what settings should I be using?

2. Since I'm using an Antec 902 with side fan, my choice of CPU coolers is limited to ones that are about 140mm (5.6'') in height. I was looking at this fan from Thermaltake. Does anybody have any experience with this cooler? Any other recommendations for CPU coolers that come in around 140mm in height?

Thanks.

I have to be honest, that doesn't look like it has enough surface area to do a great job of cooling. Personally, I'd recommend ditching the side fan in exchange for the room to mount a decent cooler, but that's just me. If you need airflow across something like your northbridge, you can always just grab an antec spot cool and slap it on. Normally I'd recommend the cogage true spirit as a value buy, cause it outperforms the TT TRUE for less money, but I see now its no longer in stock at newegg, so I don't really have a recommendation off hand.

Ya I might have to do that. All the decent coolers seem to be around 160mm in height. I can always move the side fan to the inside of my case.

well there's that...but honestly, for the price you can just move the fan and get a high end aircooler that outperforms the h50...

but the thing is the h50 is like high end air cooler and it takes less space literally it takes no space, then after you can buy a noctua fan adn add it to the h50 and make the cpu even more cooler thats what i did

the h50 is great for cases with bad airflow, but in a case with good airflow like the 900, it'll underperform, besides which space has not been listed as a concern, so why spend the money?

Back