• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron 775 3.06ghz Overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

u13turbo

Registered
Heres a story for you all, I have parts from an old computer of mine, it got viruses etc and just went very slow. Now after a year of it being in storage i am going to rebuild it.

I will tell you now that im not a professional computer mechanic =]

What i have
Albertron 775 motherboard?
celeron 3.06ghz (think its a D?)
1gb DDR400 ram
30gb Hard Drive(will be upgrading to like 250gb =/ or sumthing.
64mb Geforce4 graphics
350w power supply.

Would it be ok to over clock it with its current setup? if so how? and to what clock speed? thanks

I had the same CPU/mobo combo back in the day. You should be able to get 150-170 FSB out of that board. I'm sure it's an intel 915/925 chipset. I would make sure your PSU is up to snuff before you OC anything. If it's a sparkle or other reliable brand you should be ok. I got mine to run at 3.9 daily so you should get similar results.

I had the same CPU/mobo combo back in the day. You should be able to get 150-170 FSB out of that board. I'm sure it's an intel 915/925 chipset. I would make sure your PSU is up to snuff before you OC anything. If it's a sparkle or other reliable brand you should be ok. I got mine to run at 3.9 daily so you should get similar results.

Thanks for the reply, 3.9ghz sounds GREAT! The PSU is Highpower, Which i guess is a bad brand?

Anyway i got a case today, put everything together, and just cant get it boot up. I've only really taken computers apart, so anyway, all the cables coming from the PSU, do they have to go to specific points? and for the button to turn the comp on, does the little 2 pin plug go to anywhere it will fit on the motherboard? The only thing that happened with the way i set it up was, when i held the on button on, after awhile i heard a very quiet "tick" and that was it.

Sorry for all that gibberish talk lol:blah: hope it makes sense :p

Thanks

Edit: Also the new case i got for free is LEGIT! theres like 3-4 slots for small fans, would it be worth buying 4 and installing them all?

1 more thing, i tried fitting ddr-667 ram, but it didnt fit, Can i only use ddr-400?

Last edited:
Was looking around on sites to find some reasons why i dont get any power, and i seen one guy say "make sure the switch on ur PSU is on 110 and not 220". So, i tried it...... BANG and sparks.... all power went off............ Luckily my friend told me how to get the power back on =/ Anyway will the psu be buggered now?

I tried overclcoking a 3.06ghz Celly on a my old bench rig (750w, i45 Tpower/EP45-UD3p, 1250mhz DDr2) and I found that CPU not to have much room left. I think I got it to 4ghz@-5c, but it was a struggle. Might have just been my CPU though, I've heard on hit 8ghz on Ln2. Thing is, they are still dirt slow at that speed.

yeah, i dont understand all this bus, and cache stuff. But from what i see, celerons are pretty much the fail of intel? And my cpu, even with overclocking would never be any good for gaming correct?

yeah, i dont understand all this bus, and cache stuff. But from what i see, celerons are pretty much the fail of intel? And my cpu, even with overclocking would never be any good for gaming correct?

I think even overclocked you would be very frustrated with your gaming experience unless your playing very old games.

Celerons do what they were intended to do, Office and web surfing for the masses on the cheap. For games...yea, pretty bad. You might be able to pull off a few games, but at very low resolutions.

EDIT: Cache stuff...basically super fast RAM built into the CPU, the more the better in almost every case. That is the extremely simplified version of the story.

alright, now how about a p4 3ghz, would that be all good for games?

He more than likely has a celeron D 346 and there was a 347 with 512 L2 cache. The pentium 4's of the day had either 1M or 2M cache I owned a 630 3Ghz which had 2M but the 500 series had 1M. I would stick with the celeron. There isn't much difference in performance with games. The FSB is the biggest difference. Buy a decent PSU something in the 350-400W range sparkle, they can be bought very cheap from the egg.

Last edited:
the egg? I live in New Zealand, so my best place to buy stuff it www.Trademe.co.nz

Also i dont wanna spend anything to be quite honest. I'm not going for anything extreme, basically only wanting to go with 2nd hand stuff.

Can someone please tell me if that video card in my previous post would fit, and if it would be any good?

Also my new case has 4 slots for 80mm fans, would it be worth buying 4 of them?

It should fit if you have a PCI-e video card slot. and you are going to have to get a decent PSU before you can OC and run that card. Good luck

It's not about the rated wattage it's how many amps the 12V rail really makes. With that low quality PSU I wouldn't trust it for any OCing. All I can say is try it, If that PSU fails it could smoke the entire system :eek:

There are ways to check amp output on PSU's but not by most users. It's takes equipment that most people do not have. The voltage can be checked with a voltmeter while the system is running but I also would not advise that unless you really know what your probing. My best advise is buy a decent PSU and go from there. Your current PSU will not be up to overclocking. Good luck.....

ok as i live in new zealand i have limited access to buying. Is Golden Field a good brand? what about HYENA?

Back