• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

home underground wiring issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

back_bencher

Registered
i m facing a very strange problem....
my computer automatically restarts after some time when i open vlc or any browser...
when i take computer to my freinds home and open and the applications then everything is fine ..no restarts
a maintainance person said to me that in my opinion your home underground wiring is incorrect....
may be your home wiring is parallel but the given wiring to your computer is series and vice versa but i hasitatae on his opinion..

can somebody tell me that this kind of problem really exist or exist so what do now????

Your friend probably means number 3 in my crude illustration, where a single electrical line is serving too many plugins, and the amperage available to your computer may be too low to run properly.
Series would not work with wall plug-ins....

To test that theory (number 3), I would unplug as many things near your computer as possible, and in the next rooms as well. Then try to run your computer as normal and see if it improves.
Another thing to try would be to move your computer across the house to another outlet that would not likely share the same circuit that you are using now.

If it does work in another location, you need an electrician to look at your wiring and see if he can help.

The amperage can't be "too low", only the voltage. The circuit could be sized to only provide a certain amount of amperage before tripping the fuse mechanism.

If the amperage were "too low" or "inadequate" (ie, you have too much on that circuit pulling more amperage then what its rated for), 1 of 2 things would occur;

A. The fuse would blow/trip constantly as your pulling too much amperage for the circuit.

B. The wiring would get too hot, causing the insulation to melt and eventually short out against the armored cable casing, or if Romex type wire, it could cause a fire within the walls as the wires overheat (if thats where they're installed). This should not be that common as a properly laid circuit should be able to handle up to its rated Amperage just fine which would result in "A" happening all the time instead.

Sounds to me more like the voltage is too low at the outlet (less then 100VAC, as most decent power supplies can operate at voltages lower then the standard 110-120VAC). This could be caused by excessive voltage drop from a long run, corroded points of contact causing high resistance and the voltage drop, excessive items on the same circuit (which should result in (A) unless the fuse is stuck/bypassed) or even a problem with the local feed to your home supplying too low of a voltage (are brown outs common in your area?)

Btw, Daisy chaining outlet as in your picture, is a very common method of installing common outlets in a circuit, as its easier to install and run the wiring, plus cheaper, then running parallel lines from the distribution box to each individual outlet. Of course, this all depends on the layout of the home and accessibility to each point of the circuit.

True enough, that'll teach me to ponder electricity @ the 20th hour, though the cure remains the same. Try using it on another circuit or get a real electrician to look into it.
A multimeter would be a useful tool to verify that the voltage is the problem, before calling an (costly) electrician.

And 6 outlets daisy chained is code max (here), and yes it is common practice. Though in my 1800's house with 1-2 outlets per room, I prefer parallel and a power strip.

Back